• ih784
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

130 ELD & XBR or AR-Comp

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Do you have any other powders too try?

Dont use 8208 under that bullet, it's not safe for bullets over 123 grains. Not sure how ar-comp will work, I haven't used it with that heavy of a pill yet.

If you have h4895, cfe223, lever those would be better for that bullet.

Comment

• ih784
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

As usual, do you're own workup. What works for others might not be best for your barrel. With that said, 27.2 grains @2.275 OAL netted me 2475 fps and sub minute groups out of a 22" Black Hole Weaponry barrel.

ARComp doesn't give me the speeds of CFE223 or Leverevolution but it has behaved well and produced good results under every 130-class bullet I've put it under; 130 Berger, 130 RDF, 129 ABLR and, of course, the ELDM. Go forth and experiment.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
          As usual, do you're own workup. What works for others might not be best for your barrel. With that said, 27.2 grains @2.275 OAL netted me 2475 fps and sub minute groups out of a 22" Black Hole Weaponry barrel.

ARComp doesn't give me the speeds of CFE223 or Leverevolution but it has behaved well and produced good results under every 130-class bullet I've put it under; 130 Berger, 130 RDF, 129 ABLR and, of course, the ELDM. Go forth and experiment.
          i might have to try some ar comp under some 130 rdf's was 27.2 compressed ?

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Get a book, your guns will live longer.

Hornady #10

130gr ELD Match

COL 2.245"

18" AA Barrel

Max

IMR 8208 XBR 26.2gr 2300 fps

H4895 26.6gr 2300 fps

AR-COMP is faster than any other powder listed in Hornady #10 for your bullet.

And Alliant doesn't list the 6.5 Grendel at all. I would skip AR-COMP
            Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 09-18-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• ih784
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2019

Comment

• GSPHunter
                Warrior
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post

I don't have access to a Hornady book, so I don't know what powders you are referring too, but my understanding is that AR-Comp is slightly faster than Reloader 15, which would place is around Accurate 4064. It doesn't give the velocity that CFE-223 or LVR can, but its accuracy and stability with 123SST, 129ABLR's and 130 RDF's have made it the only powder I currently use in my grendel.

I have always used 8208XBR load maximums for AR-Comp and have never seen signs of excess pressure (somewhere around 27gn for the 130gn bullets and 28 for the 123's). Of course, your mileage may vary :-)

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  i might have to try some ar comp under some 130 rdf's was 27.2 compressed ?
                  Not that I recall. Here's some history on the work up. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post208163
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

I don't know, AR-COMP seems too fast. It is between RE-10 and RE-12; and between AA-2230 and AA-2460.

IMR 8208 XBR is on the same line as H4895

Honestly, if you are willing to buy new bolts as needed load 'em up hot and heavy. Your gun is not going to blow up unless you use pistol powder. The 6.5 Grendel case is too small.
                    Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 09-18-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• GSPHunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2014

I don't know, AR-COMP seems too fast. It is between RE-10 and RE-12; and between AA-2230 and AA-2460.

IMR 8208 XBR is on the same line as H4895
                      Here's the latest info on Alliant's new AR-Comp powder. We had a chance to talk with Dick Quesenberry of Alliant, who revealed more details about this new propellant. First, Dick explained that AR-Comp is an advanced re-formulation of Reloder 15, a double-base Bofors powder.

A while back, I bought a fair amount of the PPU large rifle primer brass. Most people on this forum found this brass to be very soft, with problems involving primer pocket expansion at normal pressures...I've got some of this brass sittting in front of me right now that is on its 8th reload using 26.9gn AR-comp and 130RDF with no loose primer pockets and maybe lost 1 piece due to a split neck. Looking around, Accurate shooter's burn chart places it's speed where you state it, and loaddata.com puts it where I thought it lived? Go figure! I've only seen pressure issues with AR-comp using sierra 140GK's....(Edit Actually going through the pile, I've got 6 more split necks...primer pockets were still good though! )
                      Last edited by GSPHunter; 09-18-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• ih784
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by GSPHunter View Post
                        I don't have access to a Hornady book, so I don't know what powders you are referring too, but my understanding is that AR-Comp is slightly faster than Reloader 15, which would place is around Accurate 4064. It doesn't give the velocity that CFE-223 or LVR can, but its accuracy and stability with 123SST, 129ABLR's and 130 RDF's have made it the only powder I currently use in my grendel.

I have always used 8208XBR load maximums for AR-Comp and have never seen signs of excess pressure (somewhere around 27gn for the 130gn bullets and 28 for the 123's). Of course, your mileage may vary :-)

Comment

• another caliber
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2019

Almost all these ar-comp loads are well above SAAMI spec. That doesn't really bother me as SAAMI spec has a quite low max pressure of 52K psi. CIP, the European Equivalent of SAAMI, gives 58.7K psi as the max and most of the loads here seem to be right about there. 5.56 NATO is at 62.3K PSI and other than excessive barrel wear is regarded as safe by many match AR shooters that I know.

I do think you can put enough ar-comp powder under a 130 ELD-M to create a very hot load. You could easily reach 69.7K PSI at around 105% fill or 28.3gr. I wish there was reputable load data for ar-comp because I think it's a great 6.5G powder.

Comment

• Gtscotty
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2019

According to who? This is preposterous, AR-Comp is known to be an excellent performer in the Grendel with 123gr, and I'm my experience it works well with 129gr as well. What's your source for stating it's faster than any other powders in the Hornady book.

The Hodgdon burn rate chart has it literally right between 8208 and Tac.

In Quickload models, AR-Comp is usually one of the higher velocity temp stable options.

OP, I'd work up towards 27gr and see what things look like, you might not get an the way there. I run 27.3gr with 123gr SSTs, 27 gr with 123 ELDs and 26.7gr with 129gr Interlocks.

Comment

• ih784
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X