• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bfglowkee
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

156g Barnes....

Just picked up 200 of these beauties for my Creedmoor and of course my sick mind said " hmmmmm maybe my Grendel?" If I decide to play I will post the slow moving results ( my guess is Blackout speeds or slower)
    Anyone already do this?
  • jmkhenka
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2020

Ods are they wont stabilise due to low velocity.
    Tried 156 in grendelm v0 was around 650m/s barely 2100fps. 20"

You get best bang for buch with 123's or even 100/108 if you are looking for drop etc.

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I've noticed a few threads on the forum of interest using heavy bullets. https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...ight=155+round
      I'm a big fan of high sectional density bullets for killing the large bodied deer up here in Maine. I'm also a fan of the round nose profile for its "better" performance through incidental brush/branch strikes that often occur when stalking through the thick woods up here. I recall reading how those 2 things are

sub sonic loads might be of help. https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...ght=sonic+load

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Did you mean the new Berger 156gr EOL?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ike838
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Planning on single feeding the 158"s? I might be wrong but was under the impression that a coal that would feed something that heavy out of a magazine intrudes past the ogive and limits case capacity with pressure problems early.

Disclaimer, I am not a reloader just going off what I have learned here and other places.

Comment

• mdram
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

vihtavuori has data for 156 grain, @ 2000-2100 fps, COAL 2.26
            just some targets for printing
            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Bfglowkee
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

Well so far some of the predictions were sort of correct but also some fun finds:

Single feeding is a must. Way to long to make it Mag length and still fit powder in there.
              So far, no issues with stabilization. Using the 20" Howa HB profile bolt action that Brownell's has. Its sitting nicely bedded in a At-one Thumbhole stock and its just a darn fun hunting rifle. The speeds so far do not warrant pursuing the bullet any further at this time ( cost and availability of the bullet ) but when all this crazy calms down and things are back to semi normalcy I may pick up where i left off. Max velocity attained was just around 2100 Using Leverlution. I was not grouping but the ladder results were not too bad. Will keep my stash of 156's for my Creedmoor and Reloder 26 stash.

Comment

Working...
              X