• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
    [whispers]Pssst... Us Safari browsin' iPad impaired folks can't see the embedded vids on this board... Got any links?[/whispers]
    Forgot... fixed.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I played with the seating depth and crimping a little this weekend. Here's the info.

I seated as far back as the bullet would allow (2.160") without falling into the case. The bullets were instable and velocities erratic. Next I'll try pushing them out as far as the chamber will allow.

The crimping seemed to not affect accuracy or velocity much but made improved how well the non-fire formed brass formed to the chamber and they came out significantly cleaner. I'll post pics of the brass later.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

If anyone is having a hard time reading the charts and wants a PDF version PM me your e-mail address.

Comment

dryer lint makes a good filler.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dacapster View Post
            dryer lint makes a good filler.
            I've have used various stuff in the past for fillers in fire forming loads but never in a gas gun, especially an AR. Unburnt debris can build up in the gas system and KABOOM.

All of these loads have been without fillers and I'm slowly dialing in on a combination that will perform consistent enough for this application.
            Last edited by txgunner00; 05-08-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Here some pics of the brass. All crimped. As you can see they are much cleaner and better formed than non-crimped I've posted previously. The Remington 9 1/2 primers are performing the best out of the 3 I've tried so far. Lowest average extreme spreads and cleanest cases. Unfortunately I'm out of Rem 9 1/2 and I just bought a brick of CCI250's. Got to spend some more $$ at the local gun shop. Oh well, I'm sure I'll use the CCI's somewhere.

Last edited by txgunner00; 05-08-2012, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                Forgot... fixed.
                Thanks. Great vids! Especially liked the ones of the youngin's having a great time!

What were those targets? White spray paint?

Back on topic--- I wonder if the 160's would tumble quicker (and to more dramatic effect) if you were to "spoon tip" the bullets?

You probably already know about them, but for any folks unfamiliar with spoon tips there is a decent description of them here:http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA10.html towards the bottom of the page...
                Last edited by Variable; 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks. I love taking my daughters to shoot with me and I'm very fortunate to have access to a place where I can do so. My 7 year old is well on her way to being able to out shoot me. She didn't miss once on that trip.

The targets were cheap shaving cream cans. They put on a good show and the girls like to play in it afterward.

I do have plans to experiment with the bullets a bit but haven't gotten to it yet. I was vaguely familiar with spoon tips but didn't know much detail on the subject. That link will save me some time. Thanks. One thing I have put some thought into is making a forming die to swage the tips into hollow points. I recently bought a lathe so I can do it all in house, literally.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I did a little measuring on the .268" blemished bullets I bought from Grafs a while back. Unfortunately they will not work in my chamber. This is what I got when I was trying to find where they hit the lands.

Looks to me like its not even making it to the lands.

Comment

• It looks like you are catching at the start of the throat.

While I don't have a credible Grendel chamber drawing, I was able to look at the SAAMI throat diameter for the .264 Win Mag (.268") and the CIP throat diameter for the 6.5X55 (.269").

It looks like you have what might be a .268+ bullet trying to go into a .268- hole. (AKA an interference fit.)

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I looked last night and couldn't find it either. These bullets measure .266". The same make/model bullet in .264" hits the lands at 2.500+- COL.
                        Last edited by txgunner00; 05-16-2012, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Just ordered some bulk gelatin to play with. This will be fun.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Cool!
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

It's not ordinance gelatin-can't afford that- but I've done some research and I think it will be close enough if I make it correctly. $48 for 5 lbs. of powder from bulkfoods.com. Should be enough to make about 5 gallons of gel.

Comment

• Does anybody know the specific gravity of ordnance gelatin at the temperature the procedure specifies for testing?

Comment

Working...
                                X