X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I don't but there is an FBI standard for penetration of a steel BB @ 600 FPS - 2.95"-3.75". I intend to use that method to see how close I am.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• rickOshay
      Warrior
      • Apr 2012

Now all you need is a high-speed camera.

How you take lots of pics with any camera.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

That's funny- I was getting on here to ask if anyone had one... well- does anybody have a high speed camera I can rent/borrow?

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I believe I finally got these loads dialed in for my rifle. I played with the seating depth some greatly improved the groups.

Best load- IMI NON-Fire formed brass, 13.7 gr IMR 8208, COL= 2.240", AVG= 1066, ES= 7.63, SD=3.31, group= .4" @ 50yds, 100% reliable function.

Last edited by txgunner00; 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Have you guys thought about trying the Norma 156gr Oryx? That is an amazing hunting bullet. I watched one blow a 4" hole through a large rabbit this winter in Finland, thrown out of a 6.5x55 Swede. I wonder how it would expand starting off at sub-sonic velocities.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I've looked at them and they might be worth a try. Pretty proud of them though.

Comment

• fFWIW

For bullet speed shots you'd need to spend considerably more.

Thanks for working this load up, I'm looking forward to doing the same one day.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

1000fps! That looks like the ticket! The wife wants a new point in shoot also so this may fit both needs. Thanks.

I made a test block of gel last night.

I'm planning to do some calibration testing today.
                  Last edited by txgunner00; 05-26-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• I'm not a camera expert by any means, but the vuurwapen guy's videos are quite impressive. Check his youtube channel for the high speed bcg and barrel flex vids.

That said, that particular camera was released in 2009, and Casio's high speed camera seems to have moved up to 2000fps since:

New on eBay for ~$265 shipped. Only the best for the wife.

I've been following these subsonic threads for months, can't wait to see these gel tests!

Comment

• rasp65
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

I own one of those cameras Andrew from Vuurwapen Blog wrote about, I bought it for around $100 on Amazon last year. As a camera it is so-so. It is handy with the slow motion video it shoots. To get good slo-mo you have to have a lot of light. I just got back from Europe and took about 2K pictures about half of them seem out of focus or soft focus. The real bad thing about this camera is its appetite for batteries. I brought 5 with me and always carried 3 with me.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Here's the first test. Steel BB fired at 600 FPS. 5 1/2" penetration.

This block was made with 13 oz. of powder per gallon of water.

FBI standards are 2.95"-3.75". I'm not sure I'll get there but I am trying to get closer. I have two more blocks in the fridge with 16 oz. & 20 oz. per gal. and will test them tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info on the camera guys.

Comment

• thats good stuff txgunner! interested to see how the other blocks work out and then some real ordinance hitting them!

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Getting very interesting!
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Couldn't wait- just tested the blocks. The 16 oz block had 5" of penetration, the 20 oz had 4". I think this will be close enough for my purposes. The down side to the high concentration is I won't be able to make as large of a block as I wanted to.

Comment

• txgunner00
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Here's some vids from a couple weekends ago. The first is an unmodified bullet, the second is a bullet I drilled a small hole eccentrically on the tip. It seems to have caused the bullet to yaw sooner but it's hard to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X