• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Me no can see... LOL!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Try this.

NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thank you Sir!

Yeah, looking at the vids, it does look to me like you are getting your energy dump earlier in the stack. It's hard to tell definitively from just a youtube vid, but I'd say you are right.

Pics of modified bullet?
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
          Thank you Sir!

Yeah, looking at the vids, it does look to me like you are getting your energy dump earlier in the stack. It's hard to tell definitively from just a youtube vid, but I'd say you are right.

Pics of modified bullet?
          Forgot to get pics of that- I'll get some next time. It was just a 3/32" x 1/8" deep hole drilled off center in the lead tip.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• Smokepole50

Thanks for all the hard work TXgunner and Rapier. This will be good info for many to start from in developing SS loads for their rifle. From working with 2400 in the 8x58RD and 190gr GC bullets I thought maybe you would be able to get that powder to work well in the Grendel as it is not position sensitive and ignites well. Have you noticed any powder position issues with the IMR 8208XBR since you lengthened your COAL?

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

No problem.

The longer COL seems to actually burn more efficiently as the cases come out cleaner.

2400 may work in some rifles. It's all about matching peak pressure to the gas port position.

Comment

• Smokepole50

For another data point........I loaded up some Hornady 160gr RN bullets with 14.0gr of IMR 8208 in NEW AA cases and CCI 450 mag primers. Seated the bullet around 2.4" and fired away. All 5 rounds cycled the action in my 16 inch chrome lined Saber AA upper. Velocity was a bit high at around 1200 fps so I need to back the load off a bit but it was fun and accurate. Looking forward to the next experiment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Good to hear it's working for you.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smokepole50 View Post
                    For another data point........I loaded up some Hornady 160gr RN bullets with 14.0gr of IMR 8208 in NEW AA cases and CCI 450 mag primers. Seated the bullet around 2.4" and fired away. All 5 rounds cycled the action in my 16 inch chrome lined Saber AA upper. Velocity was a bit high at around 1200 fps so I need to back the load off a bit but it was fun and accurate. Looking forward to the next experiment.
                    2.4? Really? 2.24?

Comment

• Smokepole50

Yes Bill you are correct. I was in a hurry when I typed that or at least that's my story.....)

The actual OAL was 2.238"

Thanks for catching that slip.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I hope to get back to my ballistic gel testing soon. I've been busy with work, fishing and other projects (mostly fishing related ).

Comment

• Wow - thanks for sharing

I can't say how appreciative we are of you guys being willing to share your hard work.

I just put my can on order Wednesday, so its time for me to start down this path. I'm shooting a 16" mid-length set up. This should be fun.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

This is good stuff, I have been running my cyclone can on my grendel with 95 gn v-max's and love it. I would love to have a subsonic load for it. Then I would have a hard time choosing between it and my blackout for sub work. Thanks

Comment

• Well, I made it out the range this morning. I started with TxGunner's loads. Every round successfully ejected the empty. But it never successfully loaded the next round or locked back on an empty magazine.

First, my hardware:
                              16" AA barrel, mid-length gas system
                              1:8" twist rate
                              "Standard" carbine buffer, tube and spring

I do have another lower with a rifle tube, buffer and spring. I have fired the Grendel upper on both lowers, and they function interchangeably with full power loads. I did not think to try the rifle lower today. Maybe next time.

All loads were 8208 powder under the 160 grain Hornady RN (0.264).

I had some Wolf (PPU) brass with large rifle mag primers.

I also shot some out of Hornady brass using small rifle magnums. Surprisingly, the hornady brass was giving 200-300 fps faster for the same charge.

Brass / Charge / Avg Vel / StdDev / ES
                              Wolf / 13.9 / 1110 / 56 / 109
                              Wolf / 13.7 / 1086 / 19 / 27 - 2-shot group
                              Wolf / 13.5 / 1182 / 66 / 131
                              Horn / 13.9 / 1417 / 109 / 154 - 2-shot
                              Horn / 13.7 / 1371 / 67 / 95 - 2-shot
                              Horn / 13.5 / 1265 / 142 / 201 - 2-shot

Point of impact is about 3" below my full power loads at 50 yards.

My 1:8 barrel is not stabilizing the 160s. All of the sub 1200 fps rounds were keyholing.

An interesting side note: the 160 grain round nose want to fall into the hornady cases once they get a little past the cannelure. Someone on here commented they noticed that, but I can't remember who. In order to get them to hold, I put the hornady's back through the sizer just enough to increase the neck tension. I had no problems with the Wolf brass holding the bullets.

Comment

• BjornF16
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2011

Aggie,

Do you have or do you plan on using a suppressor with the subsonics?...My 300BLK has intermittent issues with cycling/locking back if I don't use the suppressor (and is acknowledged as a potential issue by AAC/Noveske). The suppressor will increase back pressure and may solve your issue (if you aren't using one).
                                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                                X