• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DCC83501
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2019

Help. AA2520 and Hornady 123 gr. ELD M

Hello all. Recently got the bug and started loading for Grendel. Have only been reloading for couple months and trying to stay away from big mistakes. Rifle I am loading for is a 16" Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel in gas gun.
    I purchased and have been referencing the two Grendel loading books. Here is my situation.

I pulled a load out of book two for AA2520. It is for a 16" barrel, but the SST bullet. It shows a beginning charge at 29.6 gr and a max of 30.4 gr.

I loaded up the following five of each:

29.1, 29.4, 29.7, 30, 30.3
    COAL is 2.250
    CBOL is 1.658

As I've done with each load, I go back and look for any reference that I am off base in what I have loaded, particularly loading over max loads. While checking I found a thread here, from 2013 I think, that indicates I am too hot with top end of this set. Is there anything later that would contradict the suggestion that 29.7 should be as high as I go? At this point, I am backing off shooting the loads over that. Any help here would be appreciated.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

hornady shows 24.9-29.1 coal 2.425
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

You can download Western Powder's load book for free on their website. They are showing a max of 29.5/29.6 for 123s with pressure in the high 51k's.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• DCC83501
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
        You can download Western Powder's load book for free on their website. They are showing a max of 29.5/29.6 for 123s with pressure in the high 51k's.
        Yes, I don't know how I missed that as I had printed off Westerns' data for Grendel a week ago. Thanks.

Regarding the two Grendel books and referenced loads, are there any call outs I am missing on the loads represented in them? I found the load I was referencing in book two, and it showed a "reduced load" of 29.6 2520 in this load.
        I have referenced the books for loads and generally have tested starting approx. .5 grains below the reduced load showing in these books.

I guess that's why a guy double checks. Very new to this and enjoying it, but not loaded with confidence yet, as I apparently shouldn't be!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• DCC83501
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2019

Yes, I have the Magnetospeed V3. I have 2.360 to Jam after measuring 5 times with the Hornady tool and a modified case.

My best load so far with the 123 gr ELD M is 28.5 gr of 8208 with a COAL of 2.255. After testing five shot strings with seven different powder loads, I came away with SD of 4 and ES of 10 with is load.

Then tried seating to 2.250 and 2.260 and got best groups at 2.255", with groups right under 1" at 100 yards. Using C products and cannot remember the others at this moment.

Comment

• DCC83501
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2019

I should say again, just learning. Using an old Rock Chucker press. I initially started with the Lee 3 die set. I was using a light crimp.

Moved to Redding Type s Full bushing dies and Comp seater. Using Hornady brass and picked up 200 Lapua cases.

Comment

• glk45
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

Originally posted by DCC83501 View Post
                I should say again, just learning. Using an old Rock Chucker press. I initially started with the Lee 3 die set. I was using a light crimp.

Moved to Redding Type s Full bushing dies and Comp seater. Using Hornady brass and picked up 200 Lapua cases.
                I'm running 30.5. Setted at 2.300 in ASC mags. That load equates to the Hornady Custom ammo at 2435 out of my 18".

Comment

• 1Shot
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

As far as the Grendel loading manuals are concerned you need to understand that they are only a guide. You are to use the "Reduced load" as a starting load and work up SLOWLY. The loads listed in them are not pressure tested. I have run into pressure signs long before I could reach some of the MAX loads listed in two different rifles. Data that comes from powder and bullet manufactures are pressure tested loads which gives you a better knowledge of what is going on.

Comment

• DCC83501
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                    As far as the Grendel loading manuals are concerned you need to understand that they are only a guide. You are to use the "Reduced load" as a starting load and work up SLOWLY. The loads listed in them are not pressure tested. I have run into pressure signs long before I could reach some of the MAX loads listed in two different rifles. Data that comes from powder and bullet manufactures are pressure tested loads which gives you a better knowledge of what is going on.
                    Yes, I understand that and have been starting .5 grain below the "reduced Load" listed for that particular load. I am using a chronograph on everything I do when testing. Also watching and measuring brass from each group of shots (normally 5 shots). 1Shot, I did actually pull one of your loads off of the 107 TMK thread I believe. I have not done anything with it yet.

I guess the main reason I initially started looking hard at the loads in the books, is because everywhere I read guys arguing over whether or not this or that manufacturer provides accurate max charge data. Using the knowledge of this site seemed to be the best place to get real answers. And by that I mean where to start if in question.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

The powder manufacturers website is always the best place to start because they are publishing the most up to date data. I think this provides an excellent example as I think I know what happened here. As I've been researching Shooters World powders across the world wide web, what I've been able to piece together is this:

- Accurate used to import Lovex D073 and market it as Accurate 2520 (Lovex is a bulk manufacturer in the Czech Republic)
                      - Western Powder's took over Accurate and began making 2520 in its own facilities.
                      - Thus, the formulation for "Accurate 2520" changed slightly. But data for the old Lovex powder is still out there
                      - And the Lovex powder is still on the market. FWIW, Shooters World imports and markets Lovex Powders in the US. D073 is now marketed as Shooters World Match.

Another good example will be known to magnum revolver shooters. A few years ago, Hodgdon finally admitted that H110 and Winchester 296 are exactly the same. If you go to Hodgdon's website, you'll see the data is exactly the same. If you go to a bullet manufacturers website, you'll see different data for H110 and 296......
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• DCC83501
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2019

thank you StoneHendge, good information.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                          X