• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Precision Firearms Ammo Availability

Not sure what all is driving the demand but I noticed about 600% increase in orders coming in for 6.5 Grendel ammo. We have a full time ammosmith here now with 40 years of experience and hes busy producing ammo every day. Not all 6.5 Grendel but almost 3 hours out of every day is taken up with filing just these. We are starting to see a end to primers. Started in August with about 175,000 small rifle primers in stock. Down to about 20,000 now with a reserve 15,000 in match grade primers we use for Grendel loads.

For comparison we started in July with 250,000 Small Pistol primers, added 50,000 in Sept and another 85,000 in Oct and still down to less than 60,000 in stock. Crazy times. And the last primers I bought cost me $140 a 1000. Blows my mind.... Had to increase prices a fraction to make up for it!

We do have Grendel, 6mm ARC, some 6.8, 9mm and 556 ammo in stock. Check the website for availability.

All Grendel ammo is made with Lapua Brass for the time being.

Sorry Ive been MIA here for months. Just so busy its literally killing me lol. Had some health issues come up recently and my doctor is telling me 25 hours of sleep a week isnt good for me and that I need to get at least 26.

Mark Hostetter
    Last edited by PrecisionFirearms; 11-24-2020, 12:41 AM.
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
  • Cloverleaf
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2020

Times are very crazy right now. I just want to say thank you for your dedication and hard work Mark. I cant even imagine the work load it has put on you.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I list your company ever time someone on the grendel facebook page ask where to find ammo.

Hope its helping to keep yall going.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

$140.00 per 1000 for primers? YIKES! Time to start making my own primer factory/gold mine! Perhaps make the factory a group buy?

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
            $140.00 per 1000 for primers? YIKES! Time to start making my own primer factory/gold mine! Perhaps make the factory a group buy?
            Yeah Marks ammo prices are definitely higher than last time I looked, admittedly that was a long time ago.... but I bet they're the highest quality factory Grendel ammo available.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
              Warrior
              • Jan 2020

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                Warrior
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                Not possible. No amount of orders will get them cheaper at this time. My contacts at several of the largest ammo production companies are telling me they are backlogged by 5 years or more. Primers are one of the main bottlenecks. Several of us smaller companies approached them about doing a buy of 5 million dollars in primers and they didnt even discuss it. Just said impossible to do that.
                "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                  Not possible. No amount of orders will get them cheaper at this time. My contacts at several of the largest ammo production companies are telling me they are backlogged by 5 years or more. Primers are one of the main bottlenecks. Several of us smaller companies approached them about doing a buy of 5 million dollars in primers and they didnt even discuss it. Just said impossible to do that.
                  Mark:

So, you are saying that when you run out of primers, you don't expect to get any more for five years?

LR-55

Comment

• dammitman
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    Mark:

So, you are saying that when you run out of primers, you don't expect to get any more for five years?

LR-55
                    thats the way i see it too. once out of primers no more ammo from precision firearms for 5 years. all the manufactures of ammunition need ALL their primers for loading THEIR OWN AMMUNITON o handloaders are OUT

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Mark:

That will only hold true if demand continues in the same way and supply doesn't increase. If/when things calm down, a lot of orders will get cancelled, ammo companies will go back to 2 shifts or 1 shift of production instead of 3 shifts they are running now as demand falls off. Private demand for primers will drop as well, in part as the hoarders start dumping their supplies into the market.

Plus, being backlogged for 5 years doesn't mean PF won't get any primers for 5 years. That will depend on when PF as been placing orders for primers and so where they are in the queue.

If there is so much demand that production is 5 years behind and that is predicted to stay the same way, you can bet there will be some new start-ups that will come in to try to capture some of the action.
                      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                        That will only hold true if demand continues in the same way and supply doesn't increase. If/when things calm down, a lot of orders will get cancelled, ammo companies will go back to 2 shifts or 1 shift of production instead of 3 shifts they are running now as demand falls off. Private demand for primers will drop as well, in part as the hoarders start dumping their supplies into the market.

Plus, being backlogged for 5 years doesn't mean PF won't get any primers for 5 years. That will depend on when PF as been placing orders for primers and so where they are in the queue.

If there is so much demand that production is 5 years behind and that is predicted to stay the same way, you can bet there will be some new start-ups that will come in to try to capture some of the action.
                        DNS:

I agree that someone will start a business or get some place overseas to produce the primers and import them.

As for a five year backlog -- who is going to wait five years to get ammo other than major governmental agencies who forecast Class V on a three or five year procurement cycle.

Somehow I don't see a major retailer paying a ammo company X millions of dollars for ammo they won't get for several years.

LR-55

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            Somehow I don't see a major retailer paying a ammo company X millions of dollars for ammo they won't get for several years.

LR-55
                            They don't. Ammo suppliers may have orders, but that does not mean that they have payments. Retail and/or government buyers place orders and pay for then when they ship or have contracts that stipulate shipping and payment schedules and what happens when one party is late or defaults.
                            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Lemonaid
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2019

If the bottleneck in primer production is Labor, when the Virus vaccines are in effect and the economy is more normal then primer production will increase in order for the companies to make more profit. Unless there is a OPEC like agreement between the companies that make primers?

Comment

Working...
                              X