• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

10.5 barrel, velocitys , load data , for various projectiles and powders

since theres no real data for lrp/x39 brass im going to log all my testing here so other ppl can find some data/starting points whatever im just going to put anything i test and work up in this single thread

first round of testing was some nosler 90g varmagedons out of my 10.5 barrel
    using load data for the 90tnts i know that min charge wieght is 30.1g of ppv

since im using lrp brass i decided to knock a full grain off to start with so i loaded up a few at 29g of alliant power pro varmint in ppu lrp grendel brass
    just a 3rd group
    high = 2278fps
    low = 2272fps
    sd = 3
    es = 6

i do think i can come up with subsonic loads for this short barrel that will cycle the gun , specially witht he pistol lenght gas sytem , right now i have my adjustable gas block almost screwed all the way in to get it to cycle properly
    Last edited by mel; 12-03-2020, 01:04 AM.
  • RetroJunkie98
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2020

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

107g tmk's

starting load of 29g of ppv in lrp brass
      went
      2213 fps out of a 10.5 barrel ,
      book max from sierra lists 30.9g of ppv in srp brass , i think ill be able to work up twards 30.2g in the lrp brass

im starting to notice a trend in the lrp brass with ppv that my sd/es are much tighter with the lrp's then with the srp's with the ppv

its getting dark by the time i get out of work so i only have a few mins each day to shoot a few rounds so working theese load sup may take me a while

edit sanity check

i think i have about 1g worth of powder charge i can play with safely, hard to say when using the large rifle primers since theres no load data for them out there .
      what i plan on doing is loading some up in srp brass at 30.4g and geting a velocity reading so i have a reference point on were to go with the lrp stuff. With most of sierras load data ive been able to go about .2-.4 above there listed data safely in srp brass .

so 30.4 in srp brass should be more then a safe enough reference point for me to base velocitys out of the lrp stuff off of ?
      Last edited by mel; 12-03-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Yondering
        Warrior
        • May 2017

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Did not know that I have some nosker cc 123's and 123 eld-m loaded I can test out in the pistol. I loaded 3 107's at 30.5g of ppv in srp brass to chrono for a reference point with the lrp brass

Comment

• mel
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2019

now i have a velocity reference point to work twards with my lrp brass loads

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

31g of ppv in ppu lrp brass fed 210 lrp

This brass is soft or I could go higher, 31g shows the slightest ejector mark so I stopped there , I'm happy with 2400ish fps out of a 10.5 barrel sd gun.

So nice I have just over 100 pieces I figured I'd used this brass up to load strictly sd ammo with it.

That being said I reused the same 5 pieces of brass and they survived 5 loadings though I need to check primer pockets after this last firing. There were noticably looser then when I started but still tight enough to use

Comment

• JCSC
                Warrior
                • Sep 2019

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

I keep mine at 200 are less yardage on game, that's my 12.5 inch guns.

Their loads still have plenty of speed and punch for 250 yards but I just keep them capped at 200 yards and closer.

Comment

• RetroJunkie98
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2020

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

My 12.5 inch guns hold 1800 fps too 275 yards. Well 1806 fps to be exact.

That's with a 120 gold dot, ar-comp, hornady case and cci450 primer.

Comment

• JCSC
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2019

Comment

• mel
                          Chieftain
                          • Nov 2019

now that my 4x32 mildot and mlok backers are here so i can attach my bipod ill do some accuracy testing with mine , just gota get threw all the snow thats forcast for this week first

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2018

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X