• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Looking for new bullet puller

I have the RCBS bullet puller that you beat on concrete to get the bullet out of the case but it is getting old and beat up like me so I am going to get something else preferably press mounted.

I am looking at the Forster Universal bullet puller that takes the inserts by caliber. If the press mounted bullet pullers mess up the bullet so it can't be used again then I will just get another RCBS since it doesn't mess up the bullets.

What I need is your opinions about and experiences with the press mounted bullet pullers and if they are any good. Maybe there is a better one than the Forster.

TIA
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

I have a Hornady cam lock type press mounted puller that works well. Even pulls well crimped bullets without damage! Gets "expensive" having to buy different collects, but does work well. You don't lose or disturb the powder with the press mount type pullers. I have a couple of "hammer" type pullers that I'll use on occasion too, mostly for pistol bullets.

Comment

• jasper2408
      Warrior
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post
      I have a Hornady cam lock type press mounted puller that works well. Even pulls well crimped bullets without damage! Gets "expensive" having to buy different collects, but does work well. You don't lose or disturb the powder with the press mount type pullers. I have a couple of "hammer" type pullers that I'll use on occasion too, mostly for pistol bullets.
      I like the ease of use of the Hornady puller better than the Forster one. I only need the .264 collet for the Grendel and Creedmoor for now so I won't need to buy a bunch of collets with it.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I had the hammer style but switched to the rcbs cam-lock style puller. Don't mind the collets, it pulls bullets like a charm and most times you don't score them either. Used in the rock chucker for the leverage.
        The hammer was banging my hand to death as well as the cartridge. It is better than nothing.....
        But a cam lock style is the way to go.
        Come to think of it, rcbs might not be called that way, but it works by clamping down on the bullet with the doo-dad in your press and your press' lever pulls it out. Just be sure to open up the puller once the bullet is free, so it will clamp down on the bearing surface for the next one (instead of somewhere on the ogive).
        rcbs collet-bullet puller.
        RCBS Collet Bullet Puller (midwayusa.com)
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Another thumbs up for the Hornady cam lock puller. I certainly don't need neighbors wondering what all that banging might be....
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

plus 1 for the Hornady. I also have the hammer style, which I use to lengthen a bullet that got set slightly too deep... I find technique on that hammer though is very useful, if you drive it through the cement I can get most bullets out in the 2nd or 3rd hit.

The Hornady though one is awesome and well worth it if you pull more than a couple.

Comment

• Yondering
              Warrior
              • May 2017

Comment

• tdbru
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

i use both. the collet pullers need a little bit of straight bullet shank to get ahold of to work well. depending on how the bullet is seated (like clear down to the start of the ogive for magazine length issues) the collets may or may not get a decent grip on the bullet.

generally if i'm trying to recover components, i'll use the kinetic puller. if i'm simply trying to pull one bullet to seat another w/o changing powder charge then i use the collet pullet.

my kinetic puller gets more use in general than my collet puller does.

and just an fyi, almost all my reloading equipment was bought as used equipment. just gotta search awhile. saves $ though and is completely useable.
                -tdbru

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Actually for the kinetic one I stand up a short piece of 2x4 and hammer down onto it, not onto concrete directly.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Jasper,

I had a Hornady collet puller with the red handle but gave it away. It left marks in the bullets.

I still use kinetic hammers and am on to my third or fourth one in as many decades. Unlike collets they don't mar the components. You just have to be mindful to keep them tight as you tap the bullet out.

Comment

• kmon
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2015

I have a hammer and a grip-n-pull, like the collet pullers it needs a little flat space to grip on but it works and is a lot quieter than the hammer.

Comment

• gldprimr
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2016

Comment

• jasper2408
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

Thanks for all of the good comments so far. I am looking thru the reviews on the vendor sites also to see what problems other users are having with all of the various brands of pullers.

I am with Klem on the kinetic puller being the best way to do it but I want a press mount so I don't have to go outside in the cold to pull bullets. I have tried using wood with my kinetic puller inside the house and ended up with splinters flying everywhere so I gave that up. I have the MEC Marksman so the press is no problem to mounting a puller on it and setting it up.

So the search continues.

Comment

• tdbru
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2019

Jasper2408,
                            here's how to use the kinetic puller in the house. grab a 3lb hand sledge in the offhand. hold it so hammer face is up. use kinetic puller in strong hand and whack the puller into the hammer face. easy peasy.
                            -tdbru

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                              Warrior
                              • May 2014

I've used an RCBS since the 70s, have collets for nearly everything, and have shot some very small groups with pulled bullets.
                              I'm sure a bullet could be damaged with a collet but I control my neck tension pretty close and only tighten the collet enough to get the bullets out.
                              I will not be changing anything about this system.

Comment

Working...
                              X