6.5 Stabil for Grendel. If this has been discussed I apologize.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razorback
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2020

6.5 Stabil for Grendel. If this has been discussed I apologize.

I was wondering if anyone has developed a load off this powder? Since 6.5 Stabil is listed as powders of choice for the new 6mm ARC, which is based off of the Grendel case and they share somewhat similar case capacities, does it seem logical to try it; since it has the advantage of being temperature stable, spherical (easy measuring) and having a slow powder burn?
    The only hiccup is that 6.5 Stabil's, burn rate is VERY slow listed at #129, on the burn rate chart. It is not far off from IMR 4831, which is listed at #132, on the burn chart of 163 powders listed.
    I was also wondering if this could be the powder in Hornady BLACK?
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Razorback,
    as you pointed out, due to the burn rate of this powder, it's more conducive to 6.5CM or 260 Rem or 6.5x55 with the heavier match bullets than it is to the Grendel. i'm sure if you loaded ammo with this powder it would go bang. but you'd probably have pretty low velocities. However if that's all you can get, well, it will get you out shooting as opposed to cleaning the rifle for the umpteenth time and wishing you had some ammo.
    -tdbru

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I tryed it with some 129 ablr's in my cz grendel. Very slow and became severely unstable at max charges.

That said it should work good with the very light weight stuff like 85 and 90 grain pills. Planning on trying it with some 85 maker trex bullets I have.

Comment

• Razorback
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2020

tdbru,
        Yeah, the burn rate is the crux of the assumption. BUT...along with the cartridges you mentioned 6.5 Stabil, is also used in .223 from 77 grains all the way to 90, as it parallels CFE 223 and BLC-2, in that aspect, which are both good choices for 6.5 Grendel. It's the usage in the 6mm ARC, that lit the old lightbulb.
        Though I guess it isn't listed for a reason for the Grendel. But...neither is LEVERevolution that I can think of.

Comment

• Razorback
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2020

A5BLASTER, Very interesting....thanks! Kind of validates what tdbru, was saying!

Comment

• Yondering
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Originally posted by Razorback View Post
            It's the usage in the 6mm ARC, that lit the old lightbulb.
            Last edited by Yondering; 12-23-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Hodgdon lists it in the new 2021 manual for the 6Arc, for 103, 107 and 110 bullets.
              Having said that my IMO is it works for the 6Arc b/c that needs a bit slower of powder due to the 6mm exit hole...
              But I'm not really interested in it for the Grrr, I would think it's too slow for that.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Razorback
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2020

Yondering, it is listed in the new 2021 Hodgon Reloading manual. Not only is it listed along with other calibers but they did a 5 page spread with other loads as compared to factory loads.
                The powders they showcased were CFE 223, 8208XBR, Winchester 748, Leverevolution and 6.5 Stabil.
                Actually 6.5 Stabil did really well in the load data for 6mm ARC.
                Since they used basically the same powders that are used in the Grendel I was wondering why not for the grendel, as I stated the powder burn rate is very slow, but...they used it for the 6Mm ARC and .223 heavies!

Comment

• Razorback
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2020

GrayFox, that makes sense but that being said it is only a 1/2 mm smaller than the Grendel. Just trying to figure out if Stabil is a possibility and if anyone has tried it.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

The powder that seems to have the most performance for the 6Arc is lever...
                      still a bit of experimenting going on, with some powders, bullets, and the hornady plus now hodgdon data.
                      hogdon used a couple of not so typical bullets in their data, wish they would have used more common ones.
                      103yttdxl-wha!!! I mean, theres The hdy 103, 105, or Nosler 105rdf, the 90 Tgk, 95 Nosler maybe a Berger if you like......

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

I have a ton of this powder I'll try loading some 90,s with it
                        Did do a bunch of load data hunting for various cartridges using this powder and it should work with lightweights but be about 200 fps slower then a typical powder

Comment

• Razorback
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2020

Grayfox. Nah, I have found zilch and I do not have quickload.
                          I would definitely try IFpowder was available or components for that matter but in my neck of the woods we got nothing as far as reloading goes and I do not feel like getting gouged online or paying Hazmat fees!!

Comment

• Yondering
                            Warrior
                            • May 2017

Originally posted by Razorback View Post
                            Yondering, it is listed in the new 2021 Hodgon Reloading manual. Not only is it listed along with other calibers but they did a 5 page spread with other loads as compared to factory loads.
                            The powders they showcased were CFE 223, 8208XBR, Winchester 748, Leverevolution and 6.5 Stabil.
                            Actually 6.5 Stabil did really well in the load data for 6mm ARC.
                            Since they used basically the same powders that are used in the Grendel I was wondering why not for the grendel, as I stated the powder burn rate is very slow, but...they used it for the 6Mm ARC and .223 heavies!
                            Last edited by Yondering; 12-23-2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Razorback
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2020

Yondering, Hodgdon has it listed it as a powder for 6mm ARC, and it did VERY WELL on their load data as far as MOA and speed tests. The data was conducted listed and suggested as a good choice for 6mm ARC, by one of the worlds foremost powder companies, not by me, who am I to argue with them?

I am not a ballistician or claim to be, the correlation of the powders they preferred are all in line with the top performing powders in 6.5 Grendel, there is no skirting around it. That is the whole point of the thread! Anyone who wildcats first looks at comparable cartridges that share similar case capacities, and looks at loads that can be matched with powders that keep popping up in load data resources, and carefully works out loads from data based on it that are not published . Like I started the thread the burn rate makes the powder not make sense, but somehow it works in the 6mm ARC, whose parent case is the 6.5 Grendel, which means it should work in the Grendel especially with similar weighted bullets..

I stated from the beginning that the burn rate was very slow, that being said it performed well and far a s I can tell LEVRevolution is not listed in any published loading data as far as I can remember for 6.5 Grendel, it was a powder to bump up 35 Remington and the .308 Marlin in lever guns. But it is a bull in the 6.5 Grendel. Yes it shares the same burn rates as CFE 223.

Don't know where you live but my gun shops literally have ZERO powder or primers on the shelf, I wish I could get my hands on it! Everything has literally dried up and I don't feel like getting raped by paying more than I should or paying double and a HAZMAT fee, online. I will wait it out, I have more than enough of BLC-2 and CFE 223, which are my go to powders!

My conclusion is... it is worth a try especially for guys who have Stabil on hand and are shit out of luck with getting powders that would otherwise be used in the Grendel. If it works it works; if not... it's no sweat off my balls.

Comment

Working...
                              X