• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High_n_Dry
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2020

Issues with Hornady Black

I was able to score some Hornady Black and I was pretty happy to get some decent ammo. I have used the Black in other calibers, but it was at least 2" MOA at 100 yards in my Grendel. I was pretty disappointed and I thought there must be something wrong with the build. I also had a box of Alexander Arms 123 gr and it was so much better than the Hornady black. I went back to the Black and it went back to mediocre.
    My rifles have obviously shot differently with different ammo, but I usually only noticed it with "good" ammo vs "crappy" ammo. I just would have thought that these two loads would have shot similar at 100 yards.

My knowledge base is limited compared to a lot of guys here, so I was hoping to gain some knowledge!

The Alexander Arms data:
    Muzzle Velocity (fps): 2,400
    Muzzle Energy (ft-lbs): 1,369
    Velocity 500 Yards (fps): 1,662
    Energy 500 Yards (ft-lbs): 754
    Ballistic Coefficient (G1): .527
    Trajectory at 500 yards (200-yd zero): -61.6

The Hornady black data:
    Muzzle Velocity (fps): 2,580
    Muzzle Energy (ft-lbs): 1,818
    Velocity 500 Yards (fps): 1,796
    Energy 500 Yards (ft-lbs): 881
    Ballistic Coefficient (G1): .506
    Trajectory at 500 yards (200-yd zero): -51.3

My build:
    JP 18",1:8 twist
    Wilson Combat receiver
    Smoke composite hand guard
    Triggertech trigger

I enclosed my 10 shot group with the Alexander Arms
    Attached Files
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

As stated, any bullet/cartridge combination will yield different results in different barrels. Black shoots well in my Grendels but PPU shoots better and that is a budget brand. If that barrel you have hasn't had many shots through it, you may see some bullet groups tighten up. I saw this with Hornady SST's. With under 100 rounds shot, SST's grouped awful. After 300 rounds, they improved greatly.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Those are MV data from off the boxes, right? What were the actual MV's from your barrel.
      Also, Hornady has 2 versions of Grendel "black" - the normal black and the Match black.
      Which one did you get.
      Plus, a +1 to Rose's statements above...
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• High_n_Dry
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2020

The MV data is off the box. I haven't got to the point where I have a chronograph- always something to buy lol
        It was the Match Black.

I have about 80 rounds through the barrel, so still new.
        Last edited by High_n_Dry; 12-29-2020, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by High_n_Dry View Post
          The MV data is off the box. I haven't got to the point where I have a chronograph- always something to buy lol
          It was the Match Black.

I have about 80 rounds through the barrel, so still new.
          Witch match black? The hpbt bullet or the eld-m with red polymer tip?

Either way, go through your build and torque settings and everything checks out, its probably just the barrel doesnt like that round.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

That is pretty poor performance. From a JP barrel it should do better.

I've never shot the ELD-M bullet. I was stocked deep with the old A-Max which shot well. I've heard a few stories here that lead me to believe the ELD-M bullet is not what the old A-Max was and ELD-M Black load is not what the old A-Max Match load was.

The Hornady American Gunner, loaded with the 123gr BTHP shoots right around MOA in my rifle. My impression is it's an easier bullet to get decent groups with.
            Last edited by biodsl; 12-29-2020, 01:37 AM. Reason: Correct bullet name
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• High_n_Dry
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2020

Eld-m with the polymer tip.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Black is fine for classes, my experience is that AA 123 Lapua is more accurate in my Grendels than Black, with handloads better than both. The old Hornady Frontier was actually very close to the AA Lapua for accuracy, but the brass colored primers weren't up to the task; lots of piercing.

Comment

• BowChamp
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

My Larue 6.5 grendel really likes hornady black 123 gr eld-m ammo. It gives me .6" to .75" groups all day long.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

My 22" JP barrel turns green and gets nauseous if I feed it Hornady products. As do all of my rifles. I figure that I must live in an alternate uninverse based upon what I read about others successes.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• JCSC
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2019

Comment

• riuma
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2018

Black in my CZ American is just over MOA. In my friends Odin AR the same LOT of Black shoots half MOA. My CZ Varmint puts that same LOT of Black into .7 MOA. It's just what your gun likes. My CZs are around half MOA with handloads.~Riuma

Comment

Working...
                        X