• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by nodakjohns View Post
    Of course i really don't want to use my small pistol primers. But its nice to have options. I think i read about converting some type of russian brass to 6.5 grendel and then being able to use large rifle primers (which i have).
    Come join the party! Read through and be wary of using AK fired brass, though.

so since i have a much much larger stockpile of lrp vs srp's and u can still get ur hands on more lrp's i decided to try my hand at using some converted 7.62x39 brass. so far the process has been very simple. ordered up a cheap once fired batch of mixed headstamp brass ( the majority of it is geco and ppu with some s@b mixxed
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• riuma
      Warrior
      • Jun 2018

I have used Federal Smal pistol primers in 22 Hornet loads for 20 years. Admittedly, lower pressures, but no blown primers. Decreased ES/SD.~Riuma

Comment

• Rosecrans1
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

I live in gods Gods country...Minnesota!
        And I always thought that Pennsylvania had God's Country???

download.jpg

Comment

• riuma
          Warrior
          • Jun 2018

Just has a look. Some of the beefier handgun cartridges like 480 Ruger, the 454 Casull and such operate around 50K psi and still use pistol primers...~Riuma

Comment

• RiverRider
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by riuma View Post
            Just has a look. Some of the beefier handgun cartridges like 480 Ruger, the 454 Casull and such operate around 50K psi and still use pistol primers...~Riuma

Might want to double-check that, as far as the .454 goes. I don't load it or shoot it, but the few references I have looked at specify the use of Small Rifle Magnum primers.

According to information I downloaded years ago, the Casull is rated to 65 kpsi, while the .480 is rated at "only" 48 kpsi.

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Interesting info , I have 800 of the cci 500 small pistol primers , maybe this summer do some testing .

Comment

• nodakjohns
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2020

Yeah i have a few thousand spp. Idk maybe i can find somebody willing to change out a couple hundred with me.

Comment

• Yondering
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by riuma View Post
                  The 454 uses small rifle primers, and the 460 S&W uses large rifle primers. I shoot both of them so speaking from experience.

Not sure about the 480 but I think it stays at lower pressure.

Comment

• Nordy55
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

Buy large rifle 7.62 brass..

Comment

• Trez
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2021

I would assume it would be pretty easy to find someone to trade you small rifle primers for small pistol since they seem to be harder to find. I know around here there is a local gun forum called NWfirearms where that would be a really easy trade deal.

Comment

• nodakjohns
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2020

I am looking. Feels like i am spinning my wheels lol. And yes i have and am considering converting brass. Since i do have large rifle primers.

Comment

Working...
                        X