Any reason not buy the Hornady Loack n load AP press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericv
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

Any reason not buy the Hornady Loack n load AP press?

I'm just about fed up with my Lee Loadmaster and it's time to upgrade. I was looking at the Dillon 650, seems like a real nice machine but a bit pricey. The Hornady press looks real nice, much less plastic than that &&%^&^^ Lee press.

I will be loading several handgun loads plus .23 and of course the Grendel.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, title should be Lock n Load
    Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
    www.rockhollowtactical.com
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

No reason not to do so, lots of reasons to go for it!

If you haven't read this article, though, you should before you jump!

Comment

The only reason I would say not to, is to go to something better, it is a good press. However, I've run into a few problems with it and went back to my Dillon 550B.
      To be fair, the Hornady is an auto indexing press and the 550B is not, it requires a manual index. However, I have found I can maintain a higher production rate with the Dillon because of the ergonomics involved. The Hornady requires that you use your left hand to load a case and to seat a bullet, while the Dillon allows you to seat a bullet with your left hand while simultaneously loading a fresh case with your right hand. The rotation can be accomplished with your left hand while you reach for the lever handle so there is no time lost, you can also control the speed better resulting in fewer spilled powder kernels.
      I added a case feeder to the Horandy Lock-n-load AP but could never get it to work reliably enough to speed things up.
      All of this is relative, I load 15-20k rounds per year so speed is really important to me. The difference is relatively small.
      Bob

Comment

• skyfish
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

I have the LnL Progressive press and I would say no, go for it. The latest EZ-ject system fixed my only complaint. I find it easy to load case and bullet with left had and operate the lever with right.

I've loaded thousands of 40SW and 223, have loaded 204 Ruger, 308, and 22-250 as well. Now that I have the 22-250/308 shell plate, Its easy to load any of the "std base shell holders" Its also easy to set up just to prime, powder and seat bullet. Have done that a lot with once fired 223 brass that needs sized, and primer crimp removed and usually trimmed and deburded.

A couple things to watch for, when I loaded lots of 223 military brass with crimp removed. Over time small bits of brass from the primer pocket built up in the primer tray guide. Only seems to happen with brass I have removed primer crimp. After about 400, the primer tray may not slide all the way. Easy fix, compressed air and/or remove tray after 100 or 200 and clean.
        Also, use ball or very short stick powder, like 8208. I have used stick powder and worked, but find it easier if not sizing at same time. Then I can place thumb on powder measure and help "break" the hung up powder kernal. If sizing, its harder to feel and occasioanlluy will taper the neck of the case severly

Comment

I bought one and like it. It is the only press I have ever owned, but out works well for reloading my grendel ammo.

Comment

• ericv
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

Thanks for the link. I'm heading out on a road trip for work so I'll read it on the road (no, I'm not driving)

Eric
            Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
            www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I hear you on the Lee. I bought one (cheap thankfully), used it a few times and put it in a box. It's been there for at least 10 years now but I have recently though about making it into something like a turret press.

I've used my brother in laws LnL press quite a bit. The case feeder can be finicky but overall it's a good machine. If everything is going smoothly you can really crank out some ammo.
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I would't suggest loading for your grendel or any rifle on a progressive press! Keep your load master for pistol and maybe for .223 plinking ammo if you if load for it. I have a Lee pro1000 that fills that duty in my shop, I also use my pro1000 to resize my pre-lubed rifle brass then seat and crimp on the single stage breech lock. A single stage will give greater control over the seating and crimping of the cartridge; producing higher quality ammo!

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                  I would't suggest loading for your grendel or any rifle on a progressive press! Keep your load master for pistol and maybe for .223 plinking ammo if you if load for it. I have a Lee pro1000 that fills that duty in my shop, I also use my pro1000 to resize my pre-lubed rifle brass then seat and crimp on the single stage breech lock. A single stage will give greater control over the seating and crimping of the cartridge; producing higher quality ammo!
                  I keep telling myself this, but I'm told that guys that shoot at national level events like the USAMU and David Tubb, among others, load their ammo on progressive presses.

I would really like to know if that is the case, because we might all be chasing the wrong problem!

stokesrj is probably in a good position to actually know the truth about this, so I'm hoping he will see this and tell us his thoughts.

Comment

I would definatly agree that Stokesrj has more experience reloading than most people here. It is that experience that would allow one to use a progressive and make quality ammo with it, but, the less experienced would be better served with a single stage press. Imho.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a slightly dusty thread -- I'm curious what those of you with LnLs are using for dies/setups. I'm running .40 through it but want to flip over to a Grendel setup. I'm also curious how well your loads are running in terms of perf/accuracy. Just use Redding dies? Hornady? What do you folks recommend?

Comment

I have both LNL progressive and LNL single-stage presses and like both, but for different applications. I find myself loading single-stage for rifles and progressive for pistols (except .45/70). The reason is accuracy. My automatic powder-measure works pretty good (+/- 0.1 grain) so fast production makes the progressive worth owning. But, being borderline-OCD, 'pretty-good' isn't good enough for me. I scale every rifle load. The difference is a 0.40" average group in my scaled loads and about 1MOA with the auto-measure (in my 16" 5.56 AR). I will admit to auto-loading a few dozen Grendel test loads for 5-rd groups while I've waited for my barrel to arrive. 10 more days ...

Comment

Hi Bill,

For 200 and 300 yards progressive loaders rule using powder measures not scales. For 600 and beyond it is more controversial and not everyone agrees that a progressive and dumped charges is sufficient. And for some venues I tend to agree, like F-Class or long range bench-rest, but for National Match course of fire, progressives rule.

Konrad Power is a friend of mine, the coach for the Illinois Rifle team and won the Presidents match at the Nationals this year. He loads all his loads on a dillon including his 600 yard loads. I don't think you would find anyone who would argue that they can outshoot Konrad with their single stage loaded and weighed powder charges. Here is a Link to Konrad's loading process.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                            Hi Bill,

For 200 and 300 yards progressive loaders rule using powder measures not scales.

Bob
                            Bob; What powder measure do you use?

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                              Hi Bill,

For 200 and 300 yards progressive loaders rule using powder measures not scales. For 600 and beyond it is more controversial and not everyone agrees that a progressive and dumped charges is sufficient. And for some venues I tend to agree, like F-Class or long range bench-rest, but for National Match course of fire, progressives rule.

Konrad Power is a friend of mine, the coach for the Illinois Rifle team and won the Presidents match at the Nationals this year. He loads all his loads on a dillon including his 600 yard loads. I don't think you would find anyone who would argue that they can outshoot Konrad with their single stage loaded and weighed powder charges. Here is a Link to Konrad's loading process.

Bob
                              Thanks for the link Bob! I like his loading style.
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                              X