• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBliss
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2020

6.mm ARC brass to 6.5 Grendel?

Local shop has about 10 boxes of 6.mm ARC sitting on the shelf for about 3weeks. I'm just getting into 6.5 and have a limited supply of Grendel brass. Was wondering if I could pull the 6.mm bullets and run the ARC brass through my 6.5 dies. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Last edited by ricsmall; 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM. Reason: Edited shoulder set back to avoid misinformation
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

The shoulder set back is 0.03". You can't size longer, only shorter. You could use an expander ball to open the neck to 6.5" and then blow out the shoulder with a fireforming load, but you'd be a pioneer. If your an entrepreneur, head over to the 6 arc forum and see if you can work a trade https://6mmarc.com/index.php. That would probably make both you and your counterparty happy.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• JBliss
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2020

Thanks for the information. I'll probably buy a few boxes and try to trade it. ????

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Originally posted by JBliss View Post
          Thanks for the information. I'll probably buy a few boxes and try to trade it. ????
          See if you can set something up before you buy. You might be able to do the same here. There's lots of crossover users between the two. 6 arc is a thin market on both sides - sellers can't find the buyers and buyers can't find the sellers.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Yondering
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JBliss View Post
              Local shop has about 10 boxes of 6.mm ARC sitting on the shelf for about 3weeks. I'm just getting into 6.5 and have a limited supply of Grendel brass. Was wondering if I could pull the 6.mm bullets and run the ARC brass through my 6.5 dies. Thanks for any suggestions.
              JB:

I wouldn't do it.

Go to the Buy Sell and Trade forum and see if someone will sell you some new or once fired brass.

And, there is new Grendel brass on the market more so than most other reloading components so if you look you can probably find some from a retailer.

Finally, if worse comes to worse, blow out 7.62 X 39 brass. There are several threads on this process. The last one was from Mel and the one before from Sticks. We used to do this before there was a supply of real Grendel brass. It is a stop gap measure and would be my last resort but it is still a option.

All providing you can find primers.

LR55

Comment

• JBliss
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2020

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

If you need to go down this road, 7.62x39 is probably the better path.
                  4x P100

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

You could make Grendel brass from ARC but it will be short necked and you will have to fireform the shoulder out for your chamber, when necking up you loose a little length and the brass is already .03 inches short. Just getting Grendel brass new or once fired is what I would be looking for. 7.62X39 like said above is another route and there are threads on that.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Anyone who is resourceful should probably give this a try before anything else. Sure, there's no reason why a product with less value added should cost 50% more than one that does, but it is in stock. Fire up your trimmers and propane torches!

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Gtscotty
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2019

I have a box of Hornady Grendel brass sitting unopened in my reloading room, but I need ARC brass and can't find it anywhere. Maybe we could trade?

Comment

• JBliss
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2020

[QUOTE=Gtscotty;276503]I have a box of Hornady Grendel brass sitting unopened in my reloading room, but I need ARC brass and can't find it anywhere. Maybe we could trade?[/QUOT.
                          send me a private message. Thanks

Comment

• sundowner
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2017

I've got new 200 Starline and 250 Alex new brass sitting in my reload stuff .

Comment

• Popeye212
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2018

Sounds like the perfect reason to build a new upper......

Comment

Working...
                              X