anyone reload the Grendel for ak platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brunt The Grunt
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2020

Got it. So the rcbs 30 cal pro 3 way won't work and I need the 6.5mm one?

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2020

Got it. So the rcbs 30 cal pro 3 way won't work and I need the 6.5mm one?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-07-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2020

update: ended up not going to gunshow. Found some 450 primers and 8208 powder locally. I had a local guy at a hole in the wall pawnshop I was getting the Hornady 123 grain ELD M from @ $25 for a box of 20 since late last year. He's had his Grendel rifle for over a year and bought some rounds but the poor guy got Covid and has been carrying around an oxygen tank ever since so he hasn't shot it yet. I had been pealing box by box off of him unitl I went to see him this week and he basically told me he didn't have enough to sell me anymore and wanted to keep the rest for himself which I totally understood. By this time I had gotten 11 boxes from him so I"m sitting pretty good on Hornady brass, specially considering what they're going for on gunbroker right now yikes!

checking armslist locally has paid off. Scored a little over 800 rnds of wolf grendel, steal of a price. Midway USA got me at 1000 projectiles, mix of Lehigh, Lapua, Hornady, Nossler. 100 virgin Lapua, Starline as well as 200 virgin Alex A brass incoming this week and I think I'm done for now. Otherwise just have been soaking up a lot of knowledge on the forum here, reloading manual, videos, and my wife's uncle who's been reloading since the 70's..all great sources of info for this newbie!

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2020

a big thing I've found in reading available reloading data on the Grendel is that it's mostly in AR platform and bolt guns. Nothing for the AK platform which isn't surprising. Kinda venturing into unchartered territory which kinda thrills me honestly. lol I love going against the grain (with pun). Few things I'm having to consider with my loads that I've thought on:

my free floating firing pin is catered for large rifle primers which I will have to account for in my charges I'm thinking
            I've got an extra power recoil spring that will tame the ejections from that Thor hammer of an ejector on my ak keeping my brass in user friendly condition hopefully
            my adjustable gas block will definitely come in handy with the above mentioned. My platform also allows me to turn the gas all the way down
            rendering it a bolt gun as well
            my bore has more forgiving tolerances than what the current data for the AR platform calls for in the manuals which gives me a little wiggle room (with pun)

feedback is much appreciated

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2020

thanks a lot for your help. I've had good results with steel wolf 100 gr. Got time slotted to shoot some hornady 123 grain this weekend. First brass outta this badboy thusfarr so will report back with results.

Comment

• nadofr8dog
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2018

Comment

Working...
                  X