6.5 Grendel and Quickload -- Are tweaks still needed? (I can't remember)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fess
    Warrior
    • Jun 2019

6.5 Grendel and Quickload -- Are tweaks still needed? (I can't remember)

I think that this has been answered before, but my memory ain't so good. A recent question about Quickload in another tread reminded me of this.

When the 6.5 Grendel was introduced, Quickload dramatically overestimated its chamber pressure for some known loads. At the time, this was said to be an artifact of relatively wide, short cases. The explanation was that on the Grendel, the primer alone was enough to get the bullet moving, so by the time the main charge started igniting, the effective case volume was larger than expected. One tweak was to manually increase the case volume used in the calculations.

Was this fix ever formally made a part of the Quickload program? It is also possible that an entirely different fix was instituted, if so, does anyone know what is was?

Thanks.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

The short answer is that QuickLoad has gotten better but continues to over predict pressures for several powders.

QuickLoad also under-predicts pressures by enough that one does not want to use it for setting starting loads. Of course, the user manual says do not use for establish loads.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
    X