• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Desert Demon
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2020

16" 1:7 Recommended Load

Hi, I am new to reloading for the Grendel. I had it in the back of my safe and want to get it tuned up. I have RL-15, Varget, and CFE223 on hand. Are there any good recommended loads with those i should start with?

I have gone over Noslers and Hodgdon's data. But looking to see if anyone has had particularly good results from a 16" barrel.

Also--i have had the reloading manual on backorder for a few months.....

Thanks
    Last edited by Desert Demon; 01-11-2021, 06:27 AM.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Hi Demon,

Thanks for reaching out.

We can run a few computer simulations using Quickload and your powders, but not knowing the bullet means it's only general advice.

Varget is a bulkier slower powder more suited to larger capacity cases like .308 and Creedmore. With the Grendel and Varget you will reach case capacity before you reach SAAMI peak pressure limit. This means the powder is 'inefficient' relative to other, faster powders. You can use it, but you will have loads typically around the 48K lbs pressure mark when the calibre can take up to 52K lbs. This translates into lower velocities, especially with a short 16" barrel. I wouldn't use Varget in Grendel unless I had a long 30" barrel.

RL15 is more efficient than Varget but not by much. Same issues apply.

CFE223 is your best bet and there are threads here that use it for particular bullets.

Given your barrel is short at 16" all three powders will not be 100% burnt by the time the bullet exists. It will be in the vicinity of 90-94% burnt.This means the rest burns outside and that means a flame out the front, but with CFE you will not lose velocity compared to more efficient powders like H4895 and 8208. If you use a suppressor that flame will not be friendly to the insides, but again, not too bad, only from a long term wear perspective.
    Last edited by Klem; 01-11-2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Desert Demon
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2020

Thank you for the comment. The 223 and RL15 is just what i have on hand. I have been on the lookout for some Hodgdon CL(2). But I have not found anything specific to what powder would be optimal for Grendel in a 16" barrel. I am thinking I will need to get a 24"+....

Thanks!

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

DD,
        as Klem pointed out, depending upon what bullet you wish to reload with, the "optimum" powder may vary. in general for 85gr. to 120gr. many here like IMR-8208 and for 120+ H4895 will work efficiently. look through the reloading manuals. there are quite a few powders in the burn rate that can be utilized by the Grendel, depending upon bullet weight and construction. Benchmark, Alliant PPV, etc. all work. and because all rifles are a bit different, you may find that the powder that works best in your rifle may not be what i happen to be using. it's all ok. given the ones you have, as Klem mentioned, i'd also start with CFE223 and it may or may not be optimum depending upon which bullet you're using with it.
        welcome to the horde,
        -tdbru

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
          DD,
          as Klem pointed out, depending upon what bullet you wish to reload with, the "optimum" powder may vary. in general for 85gr. to 120gr. many here like IMR-8208 and for 120+ H4895 will work efficiently. look through the reloading manuals. there are quite a few powders in the burn rate that can be utilized by the Grendel, depending upon bullet weight and construction. Benchmark, Alliant PPV, etc. all work. and because all rifles are a bit different, you may find that the powder that works best in your rifle may not be what i happen to be using. it's all ok. given the ones you have, as Klem mentioned, i'd also start with CFE223 and it may or may not be optimum depending upon which bullet you're using with it.
          welcome to the horde,
          -tdbru
          +1

For lighter bullets I use 8208
          For heavier bullets I use 4895

They are both single-base powders so less temperature sensitive than double-based. Single-based is not as energetic so will cost you a few fps, but will give more consistent results across different ambient temperatures.

I find the choice of bullet makes more of a difference to the outcome on the target than choice of powder. There are powders suited for 16" and the bullet you want to use.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
            Warrior
            • Dec 2018

I would think that with a 1:7 twist rate you would have better success with the 123 & 130 grain projectiles.

Comment

• Desert Demon
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2020

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
              DD,
              welcome to the horde,
              -tdbru
              Thanks for the info. I have been on the lookout for those powders as well. I am undecided on a bullet. I do want to develop a hunting load and a target competition load. I am thinking of Nosler 120 gr BTs and lower weight berger hybrids for target. I'm really just looking for a good place to start---want to avoid pouring out money on a combo that likely won't work in my barrel.

For factory ammo: My rifle has actually shot the steel cased 100gr Wolf FMJ incredibly well--Just at a minute. I tried the Hornady SSTs and my gun categorically rejected the ammo--all over the place--didn't stabilize.

Comment

• tdbru
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

DD,
                a bullet that is often recommended for target work is a 120gr. Sierra MatchKing as it is typically less sensitive to seating depth than ELD/VLD style of match bullets.

for hunting loads, there are many good bullets depending upon the weight / size / distance of the critter(s) you're pursuing. i've seen a lot of success being reported for big game and hogs here on the forum with the 120-125 grain weight conventional hunting bullets or the 85 -110 gr. LFP size. What weight SSTs were giving you problems? and if SSTs aren't grouping from factory ammo, try some Federal Fusion loads. if your rifle really liked the 100gr bullets, then you can try 100gr. Nosler Partitions or the 100gr. Barnes TTSX. Normally i'd say go buy a box or two of all the various hunting loads you can find in your neck of the woods and go try them all out. the way things are right now, getting any hunting ammo is difficult and you may have to deal with what you can find. same for reloading. primers are close to impossible to find, powder almost as bad, and bullets are very hit/miss (pardon the pun) too. read back through the reloading section of the forum and the hunting section of the forum to get a bunch more ideas. best of luck. have fun.
                -tdbru

Comment

• Desert Demon
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2020

TDBRU,

Thanks for the info. I did try out the Hornady 123gr SSTs. --they did not do well. If i can find some Federal Fusions, maybe i'll try them. I would like to just handload a preferred round though. Luckily, i've got a handful of primers and can probably find the right powder. Guess i should pick up some 8208 or 4895.

Thanks!

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

DD,
                    you might try first to pick up bullet(s) that you'd like to try/use. then once those are acquired, look through the forum and any reloading manuals you can find, both online and in print, and see what powder(s) give the performance you're looking for with the bullet weight(s) that you have picked up and try and pickup some of those powders. it's tough right now getting ammo or reloading components. this is sure a frustrating situation where what one might want to try for powder/bullet combinations just aren't available. all the local dealers near where i live are out of everything. hopefully your situation is a bit better.
                    -tdbru

Comment

Working...
                    X