• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cmoore419
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2021

100 gr Nosler custom competition help

I was just wondering if anyone could help steer me in the right direction with load data for the nosler cc. I worked up a load using ram shot tac and got a few different groups that showed ok accuracy but nothing spectacular. I do know that these projectiles have been know to be finicky so any help would be appreciated.
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Cmoore419 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone could help steer me in the right direction with load data for the nosler cc. I worked up a load using ram shot tac and got a few different groups that showed ok accuracy but nothing spectacular. I do know that these projectiles have been know to be finicky so any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Cmoore419
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2021

Thanks and I will. I shot 10 different groups today out of my 18 inch barrel and the best results I got were 1.5 inch at 100yds. Using the same powder and a 123 gr sst I consistently shoot sub moa groups.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Cmoore419 View Post
        Thanks and I will. I shot 10 different groups today out of my 18 inch barrel and the best results I got were 1.5 inch at 100yds. Using the same powder and a 123 gr sst I consistently shoot sub moa groups.
        Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-25-2021, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Dt219
          Warrior
          • Nov 2020

Comment

• Cmoore419
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2021

I am going to keep working with a few different loads and maybe try adjusting some seating depth and hopefully find something that will work.

Comment

• jasper2408
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

You might try Benchmark. I had some success with a 20" AR with the lower end of the powder charges in the Nosler reloading manual. Noslers reloading manual range is 26.5gr-28.5gr. I only tested 26.5-26.7-26.9-27.1gr and just never went any further but I did get some decent groups at 100yds (.4-.5 range). Benchmark was the only powder that I could get any kind of groups with the Noslers. I ran out of the Noslers and I never ordered any more. The fps probably isn't very high guessing between 2400-2500fps at the most.

I also tried 2460 and 8208 and never had any luck with either of those powders.

Comment

• Cmoore419
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2021

Originally posted by jasper2408 View Post
                You might try Benchmark. I had some success with a 20" AR with the lower end of the powder charges in the Nosler reloading manual. Noslers reloading manual range is 26.5gr-28.5gr. I only tested 26.5-26.7-26.9-27.1gr and just never went any further but I did get some decent groups at 100yds (.4-.5 range). Benchmark was the only powder that I could get any kind of groups with the Noslers. I ran out of the Noslers and I never ordered any more. The fps probably isn't very high guessing between 2400-2500fps at the most.

I also tried 2460 and 8208 and never had any luck with either of those powders.
                Thanks for the info. I will give that a shot also.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Sadly my experience as well. I could never make these things sing.

ARComp 1.6, 1.4 MOA
                  8208 1.6, 1.5, 3.2, 2.2, 4.0, 2.1, 1.7, 3.0, 1.8, 1.2 MOA (depending on the charge)
                  CFE223 2.4 MOA
                  TAC 1.2 MOA

I can get sub MOA with Horandy 100 gr ELD-M, but not these match bullets

Creedmoor was no better:
                  CFE223 for @3150 fps: 2.1 and 3.0 MOA

I kind of gave up, and am hoping threads like this one would show me the light. Guess not.

Seems like the slower the better. Which is to say, the slower the RPM's, the better. Which implies these bullets are poorly made and out of balance. Guess I'll just burn them up with a light charge of a fast powder, an keep them below 2500 FPS as plinkers, I guess. But even that isn't absolute, it did OK with 30 gr of TAC at 2670 FPS (once) out of the 20". That's a 1/9 20", the slower RPM's probably working for me.
                  Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-25-2021, 05:44 PM.
                  4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X