Feasibility of resizing back to 6.5 Grendel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Feasibility of resizing back to 6.5 Grendel.

Guys,

I recently came in to possession of some loaded 6mm AR Turbo 40 ammunition. It is in Lapua brass.

Question. Is it worth trying to resize it back to 6.5G? It is about 80 rounds of loaded ammunition, probably fired 3x, knowing the shooter.

I really have no intention of getting in this caliber or similar, but is a shame to see it go to waste. No one else in my area even shoots this round.

Thoughts?

SY
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

I don't know that particular round. But I will say running 6mm brass to 6.5 mm is easy. The few times I see 6mm Creedmoor brass on the ground, I literally just run them like they are regular 6.5 Creedmoor brass, and they run fine. I do Run them through my 6.5 mm Mandrel first. When I reload, I never use an expander ball any more. As my standard practice is to run a Mandrel right before seating. So everything I run always sees a mandrel anyway. Aside from hitting them with a Mandrel right after tumbling, I process them per normal. Run fine. Never even have a split neck. I do the same thing with .270 brass, and just run that through my 30-06 reloading process just like 30-06.

So my expectation is that so long as it's the same head and comperable headspace , it would be a non-item to just run them as Grendel brass. I did look it up, and apparently has a different case dimension, so you're going to need to full resize them I would imagine. You can recover the primers, if you are careful about it.

But sure, I do this all the taime with .270 to 30-06; 7.62x39 to 6.5 Grendel, and 6mm CM to 6.5 CM. Just pay attention to the headspace. If that round has a shorter headspace, then I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-28-2021, 03:40 PM.
    4x P100

Comment

• Arkhangel5
      Warrior
      • Apr 2016

LE,

Thx for the reply. I should have mentioned this round is a Grendel case with the shoulders blown forward to increase powder capacity.

Running the mandrel thru the neck first I didn't think about, thanks for that.

Ditto on the recovering of the primers, my thought was to recover the components and then see about resizing.

I am just a little concerned of how much the neck is going to move forward and how much I will have to trim.

SY

Comment

Working...
      X