Clear All
  • TedBrewer5
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Pulling/reseating bullets

• biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

A year ago I would have said the economics of this didn't pencil out. All bets are off now. Here's a few threads dealing with pulling the bullet from steel cased ammo and 'pushing' a higher quality bullet. Dubbed 'Moscow Match' by the originator.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• TedBrewer5
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Some have done the pull the bullet and sub another of the same weight and gotten by with it OK. I know way back when the military match target ammo in 06 and 7.62x51 had a 178 gr if memory serves me BTFMJ bullet people would sub 180 and latter when it came out 168 Sierra Match Kings and got better accuracy. Most would pull the bullet dump the powder and remove the de-priming pin from their size die and resize the neck and put the powder back in and seat the bullet to their desired depth.
        Some even subbed 165 and 180 Sierra Game Kings for hunting purposes with good results.

In any case I would be careful and not sub a mono or a bonded bullet in place of a cup and core style bullet. These bullets will create more pressure with comparable powder charges.
        I would also resize the neck like mentioned above to get consistent bullet pull.

As to just changing seating depth of a factory round if seating deeper I would just do that but if I wanted it longer I would pull the bullet dump out the powder resize the neck and replace the powder and seat the bullet to my desired depth.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Another thing to keep in mind...
          If you pull the bullet then re-seat, whether the current one or a different one, you will have less neck tension and looser seating b/c of the neck expansion the first bullet did. Could make bullet slip in the AR more pronounced. Unless you off-load the powder then re-size the neck, which some I think have done.
          Take out your de-capper pin if you do or you need another primer.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

If I wanted to tinker, I would just seat deeper.

If I really needed to seat longer I would pull with Hornady collet, resize the neck with a neck only size died, then reseat the bullet.

I wouldn't dump the powder, or mess around with lube and full length sizing.

If you have a lot of time on your hands you could weight the powder charges to see how consistent it is and recharge if you think you could do better.

Sometimes reloading can be as fun as shooting, sometimes it is chore.

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

I have. I prefer a kinetic puller, vs collet, to avoid deforming the ogive. Give it a couple whacks with care to make it longer, without coming out all teh way and dumping the powder (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't!) and then run it thru the press to seat the bullet to whatever new OAL I want.

I tend to do this when setting up new runs, and so while adjusting the die, and accidently seat the firest couple too deep.

Seems to work fine; haven't done any hard testing, but not aware of every noticing any difference in performance to the rest of the ammo when I do this.
              4x P100

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                I have. I prefer a kinetic puller, vs collet, to avoid deforming the ogive. Give it a couple whacks with care to make it longer, without coming out all teh way and dumping the powder (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't!) and then run it thru the press to seat the bullet to whatever new OAL I want.

I tend to do this when setting up new runs, and so while adjusting the die, and accidently seat the firest couple too deep.

Seems to work fine; haven't done any hard testing, but not aware of every noticing any difference in performance to the rest of the ammo when I do this.
                Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-03-2021, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• TedBrewer5
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2019

Comment

• Yondering
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-02-2021, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• TedBrewer5
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

Comment

• Yondering
                          Warrior
                          • May 2017

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Comment

• Yondering
                              Warrior
                              • May 2017

Last edited by Yondering; 02-03-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X