Clear All
  • JCSC
    Warrior
    • Sep 2019

LeverEvolution and temp stability

• nodakjohns
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2020

I too am interested in this question. The only powders i could find that were compatible was leverevolution and cfe223 both temp unstable powders. I ran into 5 boxes of 123 sst's which are my top choice for a deer load. Unfortunately my temps are a little different as right now it is -25 outside. My hunting temps can run from +60 to well below 0. I think if leverevolution was temp stable it would be the perfect powder for my 6.5 !
    Last edited by nodakjohns; 02-07-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• 1Shot
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I don't know about the temp stability of LVR but I will suggest that you do what most of us old timers that have been hand loading for 40+ years before the "temp stable" thing came on the seen do. Work up your loads during the hottest temps you expect to be shooting in most of the time. If temps are going to be really cold always use a mag primer. Has worked for me.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Lever is as unstable as cfe223 in my guns.

For that reason I stopped useing it.

I decided it was better to have temp stability, then get the extra 25 or 50 fps I could get with unstable powders.

That's why I run varget, h4895, h322 and ar-comp more then any other powder.

Comment

• Pwrbomb1970
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2019

Comment

• JCSC
            Warrior
            • Sep 2019

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Do it. When summer comes around, drop the charge .6 and see what you get.
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• ritepath
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2021

I've started loading with lever since it's all I can find handy. First I found 10x, thought I'll do some research and come back and get some they have plenty. Went back a few days later dry. Next I found PP Varmint thought the same thing, 4 days later went back to that shop dried up also, notice they have N133 on the shelf but at 55 bucks I was too cheap to buy it. Finally decided 55 bucks isn't bad...yup that's right gone.
                So I'm back to using the Lever I bought in the first place, maybe one of these days I'll find 82 or AR comp on the shelf, but for now I'll use what I have.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                  Do it. When summer comes around, drop the charge .6 and see what you get.
                  Yup for this type of powder what he said basically.
                  You can work up a summer load and a winter load ok.
                  Your 2550 is basically at the top end of what I'd look for in a 20" Grendel/123's.
                  My node has been ~2510-2525 for my barrels.
                  You might find your summer load is about 30.8-31.0 or so.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Fess
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2019

I am pretty certain that they are related but not exactly the same. They both come from Saint Mark's Powder. Based on info from Hodgdon, Lever was optimized for the 30-30 and as far as I can tell, is a blend of powders intended to broaden the pressure curve like Hornady's Superperformance loads. In the 30-30 at least, CFE223 appears to have a slightly faster burn rate and has to be loaded a couple of grains less than Lever for the same max pressure. CFE223 produces lower muzzle velocity than Lever, but it still produces higher velocities than any other Hodgdon, IMR, or Winchester powder for the 30-30.

Comment

Working...
                    X