X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scout175
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2020

Being a novice to reloading, I appreciated the science in the discussion and the importance of knowing my own limits for safety. On a separate note to pressure and safety... I'm curious A5, why did you pick the highest charge? There appears to be a velocity node around 32.4-33. I guess I would have picked that area based on the ladder test to minimize ES and SD. At least that's been my approach over the last few months and it's been working pretty well so far in creating consistent sub-moa loads. Will also be picking up my new CZ Varmint tomorrow so excited to see such good accuracy as well.
    Last edited by Scout175; 02-11-2021, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Scout175 View Post
      Being a novice to reloading, I appreciated the science in the discussion and the importance of knowing my own limits for safety. On a separate note to pressure and safety... I'm curious A5, why did you pick the highest charge? There appears to be a velocity node around 32.4-33. I guess I would have picked that area based on the ladder test to minimize ES and SD. At least that's been my approach over the last few months and it's been working pretty well so far in creating consistent sub-moa loads. Will also be picking up my new CZ Varmint tomorrow so excited to see such good accuracy as well.
      Well several reason but first.

Your thinking is correct, it's better to go for the loads that show the tightest sd/es numbers. Then work your seating depth too achieve tight groups. This is how I approach my loads.

I picked the hightest load this time because I wanted to fire a velocity string of more then 5 shots to see how the load behaved on a hot barrel and to get a better sense of that load and tell if it was really safe in my rifle are if I was getting a false positive from my initial ladder test if that charge.

Once I did the 10 shot test and carefully examined the chronograph results as well as took detail notes of bolt lift and what my brass and primers were adding too my decision. I loaded more and shot for groups.

Groupings looked fine for what this load was designed too do. Short range brush hog/deer/yote load. Aka a zapper round.

However I never loaded more of that load because I tested some of the loads that gave velocity's near and around the 3200 fps mark and found better sd/es numbers and even tighter groupings. And decided one of those was the better load. Because it would be so close or so hot if a load.

The other reason I did up this ladder and load testing was. I simple wanted to see how much I could safely get with it.

That all said. This is a very top end load and it's very very likely that it would not be safe in any other rifle and it takes very detailed case prep and loading practices to pull it off safely. So that's why I stated in my OP. Dont just try too jump to this, if someone try's it to work up very slowly to it and dont try it unless it's in a bolt action and unless the rifle has a barrel as long or longer then mine.

Long winded and probably hard to follow but hope it helps you understand what I was thinking while working this load.

In the end run it is cool to see those speeds but it's not really worth pushing on it like that.

I only shot grendel and I only handload for grendel and nearly everything I learned about handloading. I learned by following tips and techniques from members of this fourm. Most of them have posted on this thread.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread about loading. Even if it's not about my load.

Comment

• Scout175
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2020

Makes sense. Thank you.

Comment

• DCC83501
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
          i gotta say this thread has been an excellent read,,,,,i mean right down to the bone excellent. started out kinda hot but got really good serious firearm savy folks really giving everything a good look. and i really can see who the basically trustable minds are on here for sometimes really serious topics. thanks for these types of reads as they really are part of this caliber and round. good discussions from real shooters fussin are really enjoyable for me,,,,,,
          Count me in with same thoughts. I've been working on this stuff only a relatively short while. Really enjoy reading much of the information here, and from guys that have lived Grendel for quite some time.

Comment

• centerfire
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

thanks a5blaster and dont worry at all as i know that your loadings are not something i need to do but they are your results from your loadings and equipment. i really like what you posted about it. i have broken a couple bolts and i see what my limits were along with what equipment i was using. i still say a fantastic read and our core group of personel on this site really can come together and aid with good and informational facts along with great pushing of the limits safely of this fantastic cartridge,,,,,sometimes we push this cartridge really harder than i think it was thought to be able to make but with the modern and different equipment available to us,,,,,it shows us some outstanding results. i like a little fussin as well on the way to good information,,,,,,
              now where is that jug of H335!?!?!

Comment

Working...
              X