• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL42
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Advice for 123gr SMK

For starters, I am brand new to reloading, like many people right now. My grendel rifle is an AR with a 22" criterion barrel. I have only shot Hornady Black 123gr through it, and so far it has been less than impressive- about 1.25 to 1.5 moa at 100 yards. After picking up a chrony, I realized that the ES on these, just among the 10 rounds I shot, was 100 fps! That would help explain why i would get 3 or 4 shots in a group basically touching, then 1 or 2 that were way off. Anyhow, those results are far from what I am looking for, since I built this gun to ring steel at 1000 yards and a little beyond. Average velocity for the Hornady was 2532, at 4500' on a warm, clear 70 degree day.

On to the reloading. To start with a quality pill, I picked up some 123gr SMK. 123gr seems to be a good balance of velocity and a big enough splash when I miss. My issue is that Sierra's load data for this round is listing velocities well below 2400 fps for all but two powders. Does anyone have experience with this bullet that can recommend a good load that will still be short enough to cycle in an AR?
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I suspect you'll be flooded with replies as there's a lot of data for 123 grain bullets. Do you have any powders on hand?
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• teppou
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2016

Check out the 'preferred loads' thread in this forum.
      I think the 6.5 Grendel is a fantastic cartridge, mild but yet effective over a wide range of conditions, and of course the fact it fits into the AR platform is just icing on the cake. One of the things that seems to elude us, is a bullet and a powder that just works in everyones gun. Since I am a High Power competitor, I

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by DL42 View Post

...My issue is that Sierra's load data for this round is listing velocities well below 2400 fps for all but two powders...
        I think you may have been looking in the wrong weight class.

I would try Benchmark or IMR 8208 XBR

What powder do you have on hand now?
        Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 02-20-2021, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• DL42
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

I currently have IMR4198 and Varget. Was hoping others had tried a powder not listed by Sierra that yielded higher velocity, safely, with a short enough COAL to cycle in an AR.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Where are you? If it was 70 today (like it was in Phoenix) your summer temps will likely have an impact.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Scout175
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2020

DL42: In case you have not seen it, I suggest you download the reloading app from Sierra. Its free. Lots of powder choices listed with the 123 SMK with velocities over 2400.

Comment

• Kosh65
                Warrior
                • Jan 2021

Comment

• Fess
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Scout175 View Post
                  DL42: In case you have not seen it, I suggest you download the reloading app from Sierra. Its free. Lots of powder choices listed with the 123 SMK with velocities over 2400.
                  I can't seem to find the app. Would you please post a link to it?

edited to add: Found it on Google Play. I had been looking on the Sierra web site.

edited again to add: It looks like I will need to subscribe and pay $5 or so per year to see the info.
                  Last edited by Fess; 02-20-2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

What else does the app do?

I already posted the data for free from Sierra's page.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

At or above 2400 fps

H322
                      Benchmark
                      XMR 2230
                      Exterminator
                      RE10x
                      Power Pro Varmint
                      AA 2460