X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I would also like to have a picture of all the Grendel projectiles in a line-up, which will be fun to put together. Maybe several people could send me one of each of the bullets that I don't have, and I could do the line-up photo with each projectile numbered and annotated. I get tired of the 6.8 SPC Bullets photo with several GS Custom Solids in the list, banned bullets shown, and bullets that won't even mag-feed from an AR COAL listed, with that being used as evidence that there are more projectiles available for the 6.8, when nothing could be further from the truth. I actually believed that claim until I researched what was available for the Grendel just up to the 130gr class of bullets from big-name manufacturers, let alone the speciality bullet makers and 140gr projectiles that still will feed through the Grendel.

There are way more 6.5mm bullets out there than there ever will be for .277 bores, and .264" bores haven't been popular in the US until recently with the growing tide of .260 Remington, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5x47 Lapua rifles, with a slowly increasing resurgence in the .264/6.5 magnums that Winchester and Remington introduced in 1959 and 1966.

Here are the 6.5 bullets I currently have for the photo:

100gr Nosler BT
    107gr Sierra Match King
    120gr Nosler BT
    120gr SMK
    123gr Prvi SP
    123gr AMAX
    123gr Lapua Scenar
    129gr Hornady SST
    130gr Berger VLD

I'll see what I can get from bwaites and LR1955 at BoomerShoot when we meet up for a weekend of long-range explosive fun.
    I have 120 Norma FMJ
    Barnes 110 Banded solid
    Hornady Vmax
    Nosler 125 Partition
    Berger 120 (I think)
    Berger 100 (I think)

And maybe one or two more, I may have to pull a few bullets.

Barnes

Comment

My son has Hornady 129 gr SP (The flat-base softpoint).

Is there a particular backdrop (white paper, mono-color cloth, etc.) that we should use?

Comment

• rickOshay
        Warrior
        • Apr 2012

Anyone shooting anything <100 gr ?

Comment

Here is a picture of the 6.5 Barnes TTSX bullets, and the LRX, with a 120 grain Nosler BT for reference. The 120 gr barnes TTSX is difficult, the 127 grain LRX would be very hard to satisfactorily load in the Grendel, but not the Creedmoor or .260 Remington.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
            Anyone shooting anything <100 gr ?
            Well, sloth and lack of free time precludes my actually shooting them, but I do have some 85gr. Sierra HPs...

I could either measure and photogragh them, or mail one to somebody.
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I would also like to have a picture of all the Grendel projectiles in a line-up, which will be fun to put together. Maybe several people could send me one of each of the bullets that I don't have, and I could do the line-up photo with each projectile numbered and annotated. I get tired of the 6.8 SPC Bullets photo with several GS Custom Solids in the list, banned bullets shown, and bullets that won't even mag-feed from an AR COAL listed, with that being used as evidence that there are more projectiles available for the 6.8, when nothing could be further from the truth. I actually believed that claim until I researched what was available for the Grendel just up to the 130gr class of bullets from big-name manufacturers, let alone the speciality bullet makers and 140gr projectiles that still will feed through the Grendel.

There are way more 6.5mm bullets out there than there ever will be for .277 bores, and .264" bores haven't been popular in the US until recently with the growing tide of .260 Remington, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5x47 Lapua rifles, with a slowly increasing resurgence in the .264/6.5 magnums that Winchester and Remington introduced in 1959 and 1966.

Here are the 6.5 bullets I currently have for the photo:

100gr Nosler BT
              107gr Sierra Match King
              120gr Nosler BT
              120gr SMK
              123gr Prvi SP
              123gr AMAX
              123gr Lapua Scenar
              129gr Hornady SST
              130gr Berger VLD

I'll see what I can get from bwaites and LR1955 at BoomerShoot when we meet up for a weekend of long-range explosive fun.
              I could mail you an 85gr. Sierra HP, a 160gr. Hornady RN, and a 123gr. Sierra HP if it'll help. I could also send a 120 Wolf MPT projo, but it'd have pull marks since I don't have any loose ones.

Everybody could do pics, but it'd be better if you had all of the projos together for one all inclusive pic. We need a master list of 6.5 bullets posted with the ones you have annotated, then we can chime in with which ones we can contribute. Everybody gets their assignment for what to contribute, and then we mail them to you. That'd help eliminate duplication and/or the need for more than one mailing from anybody.

I'll have to dig through my stuff and see if I have any others you might need.
              Last edited by Variable; 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

I agree. Mail the projos to LRRPF55 for a single photo.

I will post a page that contains the list of what we have (the Horde's horde) vs the complete list. Then add the photo when ready.
                Last edited by rickOshay; 04-20-2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I just picked up some 95gr VMAX's so I can show what kind of velocity a 16" barrel can generate with the Grendel, even though I would only use these on 2-legged dogs. Here's my updated list of what I have:

95gr Hornady VMAX
                  100gr Nosler BT
                  107gr Sierra Match King
                  120gr Nosler BT
                  120gr SMK
                  123gr Prvi SP
                  123gr AMAX
                  123gr Lapua Scenar
                  129gr Hornady SST
                  130gr Berger VLD

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

I have ready to go:

95 Hornady VMax
                    100 Berger
                    110 Barnes Banded solid
                    120 Berger 120 Norma FMJ
                    120 Barnes TSX
                    123 Sierra MK
                    125 Nosler Partition
                    Last edited by bwaites; 04-23-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

So now we only need like 30+ more projectiles from the list...

Comment

OK, I left out the bullets listed above. Some of these may be historical, or even hysterical, but I have a supply of them all, and it will be interesting to see them in the picture. These are packaged, labeled, and I'll mail them out tomorrow.

Barnes original x, 100 and 140 grain
                        Barnes 127 grain LRX
                        Barnes 130 grain TSX boattail
                        Hornady 160 gr RN
                        Midway Repackaged Blem 140 gr BT polymer SP (Looks a lot like a Nosler BT)
                        Norma 156 gr ORYX
                        Nosler 125 and 140 gr partition (one is the repeat of above, but I already had it in the package)
                        Sierra Factory Moly Coated 120 and 140 gr matchkings
                        Swift Scirocco (which I spell wrong half the time) 130 gr
                        Swift A-Fram 140 gr

Hey, some of these were great in Africa in the .260 Ackley Improved, and the 6.5-284, but they are all 6.5's so you can cull them as you wish.

Comment

• rickOshay
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2012

You guys let me know which ones to add to the list. Do we draw the line at 140gr ?

Comment

I would agree about 140gr for the Grendel but if one of the Bolt Gun guys would chime in. For a bolt gun would you be using anything bigger? Or Contender/Encore.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I have the following if you need them

100 Amax
                              120 Speer SP
                              120 Hornady SP
                              129 SST
                              140 Hornady SP
                              160 Hornady RN - for sub-sonic

Maybe some others.
                              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The 160 gr round nose bullet is part of an active thread for subsonic loads that cycle the action.

Comment

Working...
                                X