• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSPDad
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2021

PPU Brass

Hey all,

We all know brass is extremely hard to get currently for the Grendels much less anything else out there. I have done some extensive reading over the last month while putting my rifle together. I am an avid reloader and have been for many moons. I see that it is rumored that the PPU 6.5 Grendel brass is garbage. Now, in the past I have reloaded many other calibers using PPU brass without issues. Is this just typical gun snobbery and folks turning up their noses at the brand or is it a true fact that the PPU brass has a known issue and should not be trusted with this specific caliber? The reason why I ask is 1. No Starline to be found, and 2. I can get it right this second from a fellow shooting partner that took some in on a trade. It's all factory new in sealed bags. If anything, I can use this to get the rifle up and running and see what the barrel likes to eat while waiting for better quality brass to roll in that is small primer vs large primer.
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by GSPDad View Post
    Hey all,

We all know brass is extremely hard to get currently for the Grendels much less anything else out there. I have done some extensive reading over the last month while putting my rifle together. I am an avid reloader and have been for many moons. I see that it is rumored that the PPU 6.5 Grendel brass is garbage. Now, in the past I have reloaded many other calibers using PPU brass without issues. Is this just typical gun snobbery and folks turning up their noses at the brand or is it a true fact that the PPU brass has a known issue and should not be trusted with this specific caliber? The reason why I ask is 1. No Starline to be found, and 2. I can get it right this second from a fellow shooting partner that took some in on a trade. It's all factory new in sealed bags. If anything, I can use this to get the rifle up and running and see what the barrel likes to eat while waiting for better quality brass to roll in that is small primer vs large primer.
    i have several reloads on the large primer ppu/wolf brass now with no issues , i belive the issue was the factory ammo was unsafe iirc from what lil bit ive seen on the forums here somone else will have to chime in for sure

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

I have ran small primer ppu brass for grendel with 6 reloads on the cases so far. Primer pockets are fine, no signs of distress on the brass. It's physically heavier and harder brass than hornady. No issues experienced on my end. I also anneal the brass before sizing every other time and I'm cautious about running too hot to keep them in decent shape.

I believe the negative viewpoint began when they ran large rifle primers and the brass wouldn't hold up.
      Last edited by Zeneffect; 04-24-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• GSPDad
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
        I have ran small primer ppu brass for grendel with 6 reloads on the cases so far. Primer pockets are fine, no signs of distress on the brass. It's physically heavier and harder brass than hornady. No issues experienced on my end. I also anneal the brass before sizing every other time and I'm cautious about running too hot to keep them in decent shape.

I believe the negative viewpoint began when they ran large rifle primers and the brass wouldn't hold up.

I think what you are saying here is exactly what I have read. I guess I need to see if these he has a large primer or newer small primer. Either way I should probably stick it on the shelf for hard times ahead.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
          Warrior
          • Nov 2018

I would buy it.

Also, Starline is shipping "backordered" purchases within a week of buying it.

Head over to Starline and buy 500 backorder cases.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Get over to the Starline Brass website folks. You can order your Grendel brass. Just got 500 myself. Free shipping too.

Comment

• GSPDad
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
              I would buy it.

Also, Starline is shipping "backordered" purchases within a week of buying it.

Head over to Starline and buy 500 backorder cases.
              I have been staring at their site for a month, never seen them come available as back orderable one time.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

If it's srp I'd buy it if the price was reasonable. Not bad brass and I kinda prefer it to hornady (recovered from factory black and ag)

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-25-2021, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• GSPDad
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                    If it's srp I'd buy it if the price was reasonable. Not bad brass and I kinda prefer it to hornady (recovered from factory black and ag)
                    I much prefer Starline, but I guess I keep missing the back order option despite stalking their site day and night. Hornady has treated me well when using it for many calibers also.

Comment

• Dt219
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X