• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AllenRay1
    Unwashed
    • May 2021

129 gr Interlock SP with LT-30?

I could use some help, if it so pleases the Hoard. So Westerns Load Data stops at 123 gr. I have 129 gr Hornady Interlock SP's. I have BR4 and Magnum primers to choose from and A bucket of LT-30 that I intend to use for .223 , 5.56 , Grendel , .308 . The Grendel is an AR-15. Magazine constraints and receiver strength are something I also must deal with. Has anybody tried this? Should I just save these for a future .260? All input is appreciated.
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

LT30 is a very fast powder, and would likely not be a great choice. It's more for 45 gr .223 loads.
    4x P100

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Here is the Western manual who make LT30. It's their full manual in pdf, and kind of a personal favorite. Download and print.
      4x P100

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Some guys on here shoot the 129's, especially that interlock b/c with a flatter base you can get a bit "more" powder in it ("more" is of course, relative).
        As I recall, CFE223 or Leverevolution are the typical ones. do a search on here and you'll find some threads on them.
        In an 18" barrel I wouldn't expect more than about 2350-2400 ft/s max. In one of my 20" barrels (a bolt-action howa) I could get ~2440 with CFE. but ymmv.
        As always, work up slowly from low because your barrel is different from all others.

Also, in the industry/vendor partner section of the forum, the AR15 build box section has the Grendel handbooks, vol 1 and 2. I highly recommend these for you as they have a world of knowledge all in one place on the grendel, the loads, bullets, etc etc.

CFE and Lever both come up as available online fairly often, again, as compared to other powder types.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• dpete
          Warrior
          • May 2016

I use them for my hunting bullets on whitetails here in the woods of northern WI. If the soft point gets dinged going up the feedramp of my AR I haven't noticed any detrimental effects at the target. Although I am not worried about taking shots over 100 yards either. We just don't get them up here.

What I use:
          129 gr Hornady SP
          Converted Remington 7.62X39 small primer case
          CCI 400 primer
          25.5gr of 8208 XBR
          2.200 COAL
          YMMV and as always work up your own load.
          This load will shoot MOA if I do my part.

Av 2330fps
          ES 23.33
          SD 9.53

18" Odin Works barrel

I know 8208 is pretty much unobtainium right now but I like it because of its relative temp. insensitivity compared to CFE223 and I have plenty.

Comment

• AllenRay1
            Unwashed
            • May 2021

Thanks Good people. Dpete, Thats exactly what I decided to do. I found 2 lbs of 8208. Also found out it will work for my 180 gr .308 loads as well. I do appreciate all the input. I have something to learn every day and ya'll are awsome. Thank ya'll again.

Comment

Working...
            X