• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

Accurate 2520 + sierra 85gr

Anyone run this combo before? It appears on manufacturers published load data, speed looks promising (almost 3000fp). Having issue finding is general accuracy reports.

Ql seems to think it's going to be fairly pressure free where my targeted max is.

If you have a quality barrel it has a excellent chance of holding just under a minute consistently. If your barrel is a cheapo then it has much less chance.

LR55
    Last edited by LR1955; 05-30-2021, 12:08 PM.
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I'm not seeing where the confusion lies. You have load data from Western that should be good, and QL looks like it agrees with it. If it is the accuracy thing, it is a fairly accepted rule of thumb that premium barrels will shoot better than bargain barrels.
      Last edited by Lemonaid; 05-30-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Confused as to why the response came in as an edit to the question rather than a reply.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I have not used this powder but it all looks perfectly safe and reasonable.

You've obviously pushed the bullet further in to get more shank grip and are stopping short of SAAMI max, probably due to 103% full. My usable case space is a tiny bit less than the QL default when using Lapua cases but not by much. I wouldn't expect the tightest groups because the shank grip is still only 4.73mm and only 95% of the powder will be burnt in a 22" barrel.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
            Confused as to why the response came in as an edit to the question rather than a reply.
            ZE:

I am too! Surprised me big time because I didn't edit anything. Totally baffled.

Well, your question was pretty weird. There is no single load that will give stellar accuracy with every barrel and most of the accuracy is from the barrel, then bullet, then load -- in my opinion.

I shot a lot of the 85 grain Sierra's when I used a Grendel for a season or two in High Power. Shot them at 200 because I got a bunch of them dirt cheap and they shot well enough for competitive purposes at that distance. Never got anything stunning out of them and they were kind of a PITA to load for due to their short length but they shot OK and the recoil was negligible. When I ran out of them, I basically said 'good idea, less than ideal results'. No big deal, just a lesson learned.

And still don't know why my response came in the form of an edit!

LR55

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

I stop short because I hate pulling bullets apart and rather just shoot the lot and see if I can go further for the next session. I use the chrono as a speed limiter of sorts. If I'm seeing 3100fps, I'm too fast despite what brass may say.

That and... things like bolts, barrels, etc are hit and miss on availability right now so treat them nice and they will do the same.

I still haven't used any of my lapua brass. Still too paranoid about losing them.
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 05-31-2021, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

Today is moving day, leaving me Monday or Tuesday to be able to reload once again and give these a spin.

Going to even try a new range close to the new place. They have shillouettes out to 600 so it should be fun once I settle on a load

Comment

Working...
                X