• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gringoloco
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Hornady 123gr FMJ load testing

Last edited by Gringoloco; 06-02-2021, 05:18 AM. Reason: Changed American Gunner to Frontier
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

My thoughts are that you can get closer to the Factory loads velocity, near the 2400 fps. Barnes has Max data for their 120 grain bullets and CFE 223 at 31.0 grains and 2660 from a 24 inch barrel. Of course start low and work up slowly watching for excess pressure signs, and I make no recommendations for YOUR gun. https://www.barnesbullets.com/assets...del_2.5.20.pdf
    As for longer COAL, pressure will generally go slightly lower for a given amount of powder unless the bullet is into the lands.
    Your Mileage and opinion may vary and my feelings will not be hurt by it.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Shot the same bullet myself this weekend. I tried 27.0, 27.5 and 28.0gr. of H335 (Hodgdon max is 28.7) in Hornady brass with a CCI-400. Got 2 1/4", 1 3/4" and 1 1/4" 5-shot groups at 100yds, respectively. 28.0gr averaged 2508fps with an SD of 12 out of a 20" AR.

For $.24 per bullet I'm not complaining.

Be safe!

John

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

That was me who sheared the bolt with them. I wouldn't load them any longer. They are stubby and it's not the sort of bullet design that will benefit from a shorter jump and it sounds like your chamber, like mine, might be a little tight. You shouldn't expect anything better than MOA. Your seating / reseating excercise is a good introduction to how inconsistent Hornady products can be, especially lot to lot, with your loads at 2.225 being one lot and the factory ammo being another. I'd actually see if you could seat them a little deeper just to build in a little margin for error. One of my problems was also that the bullets were slightly oversized, with a very small percentage slightly more oversized than the rest.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Perfectseal
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2018

Comment

• Gringoloco
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Oops realized I put AG down instead of Frontier.

Comment

• TedBrewer5
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

I am following your thread closely. I just purchased my second 250 rd package with it the last hour from mid south. Two different loads are sitting on my bench ready to be shot. They are using once fired Hornady brass, CCI 450 primers and 8208 powder. The same seating die setup I use for my Sierra prohunters (2.25)gives me a COAL of 2.24 for these and 2.245 for Speer 120 gr gold dots. Gold dots are ready to shoot as well. I just need a break from work!

Comment

Working...
              X