• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Testing some steel case bullet replacement loads 90 gr. TNT

Your basic steel case Wolf with the 100 gr. FMJBT. Pulled em with a pair of sidecutters. In my opinion you need to dump the powder and chamfer the mouth of the steel case then replace the powder and seat a bullet which in this case is the 90 gr. TNT. I waited until I shot up all the rounds I had loaded with 129 Gr Hornady Spire point that I had replaced the factory powder with ARComp. Shot great and penetrated plenty, I want a softer bullet. I put my upper in a different lower, used an "accuracy Wedge" to tighten it up and went shooting. Trigger mushy need to clean it up pull not bad. First I used some of the wolf factory ammo to get on paper at 50 and went back to the 100 yard line to shoot the new bullet ammo. First shot was just over the top of the paper plate. 12 clicks down and the bullet hits 3" left, I put in 10 clicks right windage. Next shot exactly centered the paper plate. The scope is a Konus as I had removed the 4 power Leupold that was on it a 1-4 power with a dot. Nice glass and the little shooting I have done with it adjustments have been close and it seems to track in a straight line. Next shot was 1 inch high than dead center. I'm good. Obligatory jug test. Stack 4 in a row an inch apart right in front of the 100 yard target. Shot from the 100 yard bench. It blasted apart the first two and mostly ended up in number three, a mashed piece of lead and 1/3 of it's jacket. Jug 2 had some fragments. That bullet hit the front jug exactly where I aimed. So here's to the next 50 or so to be put to good use this summer.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Not exactly a pull and push 90gr TNT. I dumped the power and worked up a load using the factory steel case powder.
    Speer_MM_.jpg
    Last edited by biodsl; 06-12-2021, 04:07 AM.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

It is surprising what just a bullet change can make.

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I have a couple hundred wolf and have been pulling some the 100 grain projectiles and found that the case does need to be chamfering before seating your preferred projectile. I also noticed a huge neck tension variation when pulling them. They never shot well for me and the powder was dirty.

I used the cases to do some subsonic load development. I enjoy shooting subsonic.

I may have to look at reloading some 90 TNT like Biodsl did and see how they do.

Comment

• rickt300
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
          Not exactly a pull and push 90gr TNT. I dumped the power and worked up a load using the factory steel case powder.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17937[/ATTACH]
          I saw that, if I need any more velocity I might play with it a bit but I don't.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
            Warrior
            • Jan 2020

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
            I have a couple hundred wolf and have been pulling some the 100 grain projectiles and found that the case does need to be chamfering before seating your preferred projectile. I also noticed a huge neck tension variation when pulling them. They never shot well for me and the powder was dirty.

I used the cases to do some subsonic load development. I enjoy shooting subsonic.

I may have to look at reloading some 90 TNT like Biodsl did and see how they do.
            Do tell about the steel subsonic?
            Powder?
            How fast

Thanks, kinda curious

Comment

• grendelnubi
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

I am currently using Trail Boss 7.4 grains using 129 grain Hornady Interlocks.

In my 12.7" it is running about 989, in my 16" about 1000 fps. Will not unlock the bolt however but both are side charging so it is not an issue for me. One thing is, I did not see a increase in velocity going up .1 grains up to 7.6. Powder may not all be burning. Using a cci 450 primer would fix it, it did in my 300 blackout.
              Last edited by grendelnubi; 06-19-2021, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X