Which bullet to handload for Hogs and Whitetail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TORCHRIDER
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

Which bullet to handload for Hogs and Whitetail?

I know availability sucks right now, but wondering which component bullet you guys are handloading for game.
    I am new to the 6.5 Grendel but am considering starting with the Hornady 123Gr. SST (when I can find them).
    Anyone using them on game with good results? What other bullets do you recommend for game?
  • dpete
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Nosler Accubond Longrange (ABLR) 129 grain. Watch Shooter's Pro Shop for Nosler factory 2nds if your concerned about price.

Comment

• grendelnubi
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

We did a Grendel hunting survey sometime back. It includes a lot of data.

Could we try and gather some data from our Grendel performance in game? Please keep it short for ease of orientation. BULLET WHAT ANIMAL SHOT APPR DISTANCE SHOT WHERE IN THE BODY IT WAS SHOT DISTANCE TRAVELLED AFTER SHOT M/YDS Here's a summary from post #35

Over the last couple of years I have used only the 129 ABLR that dpete made reference too, but this year I think I am going to use the Speer 120 Gold Dot.

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

TR,
        are you in an area where you are forced to use LFPs? if so that limits your choices considerably. BARNES TTSX bullets (100, 115) or Maker TREX stuff (85, 110). probably a few more by other mfgr's in that weight range. check the LFP sticky. Most of the other 6.5 LFP are heavier and tougher and geared more for the 6.5 CM/260 Rem/6.5x55 Swede kinds of speeds.

otherwise if you have the option of Pb as well, then there are a lot of pretty good choices out there. 100 to 129 gr. window. Nosler, besides offering the ABLR series also has 2 Partitions in that weight range. Hornady has several in that window. Sierra has the prohunter, all will work. i don't know if Rem will even start offering bulk PSPCLs again but they have a 120gr. too. Norma and Lapua also make hunting bullets in that weight window in 6.5mm.

Speer of course has the gold dot's mentioned above.

lots of good choices, when you can find them.

if i had to blind pick one that i could depend on for deer, i'd look hard at the 100gr. Nosler Partition. in all the calibers i've tried Nosler Partitions in, they just plain flat work 100% of the time. and in some rifles they were also the accuracy leader. but rarely poor in the accuracy department.

of course right now you may be limited to what you can find.....
        ymmv of course
        -tdbru

Comment

• Laman
          Bloodstained
          • May 2019

The 123SST works fine on whitetails at Grendel ranges. Six deer the last two years with my Grendel, good bullet performance on each. Shoot a game type bullet that's the most accurate in your rifle.

Comment

• Rocco_1995
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2019

Speer 120 gold dot

Comment

• Rosecrans1
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Nosler Partitions and Acubonds and Speer Gold Dots are all great but I'll give you one NOT to use for hunting. The Berger Hybrid OTM. They are my best paper-puncher. But in a deer, you'll be doing some tracking!

Comment

• TORCHRIDER
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2021

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                We did a Grendel hunting survey sometime back. It includes a lot of data.

Could we try and gather some data from our Grendel performance in game? Please keep it short for ease of orientation. BULLET WHAT ANIMAL SHOT APPR DISTANCE SHOT WHERE IN THE BODY IT WAS SHOT DISTANCE TRAVELLED AFTER SHOT M/YDS Here's a summary from post #35

Over the last couple of years I have used only the 129 ABLR that dpete made reference too, but this year I think I am going to use the Speer 120 Gold Dot.
                Thanks for the link. Great info there.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

90 TNT are pretty proven and rather heavily documented winners, based on DNS's video's.
                  4x P100

Comment

• TORCHRIDER
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2021

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                    90 TNT are pretty proven and rather heavily documented winners, based on DNS's video's.
                    I run the 125Gr. TNT in my 300BLK and it works very well. It expands instead of blowing up at 300 BLK speeds. I assume it might be a similar situation for the 90Gr. TNT in the 6.5.

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

Federal 6.5 Grendel ammo with 90gr. TNT bullets is in stock as of now on Federal's website. 50 round boxes for $82.99.

Shopping for the Varmint & Predator - Learn more about the latest American Eagle Rifle and other hunting or shooting gear at Federal Ammunition.
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2020

Comment

• TORCHRIDER
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                          Federal 6.5 Grendel ammo with 90gr. TNT bullets is in stock as of now on Federal's website. 50 round boxes for $82.99.

https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle...65GDL90VP.html

Lol. Not that desperate. I'm a patient man.

Comment

Working...
                          X