barrel life

just curious as to real world barrel life people have experienced
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

mdram,
    it will be long. SAAMI spec is just 50K PSI (as compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor @ 65K PSI). Pressure is kind of low because the bolt thrust in an AR couldn't be greater than the 5.56x45 that it was designed around. since the case head has more area then a 5.56x45, to keep the force the same the pressure had to come down. but that's good in terms of barrel life. If i recall, this is the same pressure category as the 222 Rem and the 6.5x55, both of which have very long barrel lives. i suppose if one did continuous magazine dumps that would shorten the barrel life significantly, as it would in 5.56x45 or any other AR caliber. i'm guessing here, so understand that, but with non abusive fire rates i'd expect around 15K useful life.
    -tdbru

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

mdram the answer is irritating and not really what you want to hear.

You have to define "death of a barrel" for someone to answer lifetime of a barrel.

A three gunner may say death is keyholeing (about 10k to 20k rounds for a non-chrome 5.56 that is only shot rapid fire), bench rest shooter death may be above 1/2 MOA (3k to 4k rounds).

How well does your barrel shoot now? How fast do you shoot it? How many rounds in a range session?

If your barrel shoots 1.5 MOA and 2 moa is still OK, and you shoot no faster than once every 30 seconds, and you shoot around 30 rounds a day, a low pressure, low charge weight caliber round like 6.5 Grendel may last 15k rounds.

Why do you ask?

If you are waiting to shootout your current barrel to get a better one, just do it now. The 6.5 Grendel is an heirloom cartridge, lol.
      Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 07-20-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

i really dont know how well it will shoot, i am the weak link
        its much better than i can hold it to

yeah i know i need to define it, im really happy with anything under 1 moa
        i shoot 100-200 per session over the pan of 3-4 hours, so im not running it too hard

was asking just because i was curious
        btw its a pf bartlein, so im more than happy with it

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mdram View Post
          i really dont know how well it will shoot, i am the weak link
          its much better than i can hold it to

yeah i know i need to define it, im really happy with anything under 1 moa
          i shoot 100-200 per session over the pan of 3-4 hours, so im not running it too hard

was asking just because i was curious
          btw its a pf bartlein, so im more than happy with it
          mdran:

I liken it to a .308. Eight to ten thousand ought to be right. Unless you shoot a lot at 300 and beyond and on small targets (you are a competitive shooter), chances are you won't really see anything and will shoot it until you get interested in another barrel for some reason.

LR55

Comment

• mdram
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

not competative, i do it for relaxation
            but these numbers sound nice, i was thinking 5k.
            will have to see

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

If you do start to loose precision, try cleaning the barrel. I don't keep a clean barrel as a matter of habit, but sometimes they do get junked up. Starting life with a Bartlein barrel will help prevent fouling buildup. When I think it's time to clean I use:

Cutting through carbon fouling on your firearm is a breeze with C4 Carbon Remover from Bore Tech. Even the most stubborn baked-on carbon is no match for this carbon remover. For the best carbon removing chemicals for gun cleaning, you have to choose Bore Tech. Shop our entire collection of bore cleaning products now!

A powerful copper remover that is 100% barrel safe, odor free and biodegradable. This bore cleaner gets rid of copper fouling quickly. Experience the Bore Tech advantage when you order the Cu+2 Copper Remover Bore Cleaner. Shop our whole selection of gun cleaning chemicals and solvents today for the best prices!

Comment

• mdram
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                If you do start to loose precision, try cleaning the barrel. I don't keep a clean barrel as a matter of habit, but sometimes they do get junked up. Starting life with a Bartlein barrel will help prevent fouling buildup. When I think it's time to clean I use:

Cutting through carbon fouling on your firearm is a breeze with C4 Carbon Remover from Bore Tech. Even the most stubborn baked-on carbon is no match for this carbon remover. For the best carbon removing chemicals for gun cleaning, you have to choose Bore Tech. Shop our entire collection of bore cleaning products now!

https://www.boretech.com/products/cu2-copper-remover
                well i cleaned it after the first 100, then at 500, nect will be at 1k. im horrible.................
                zero copper that i could see, and carbon came out easily

Comment

• Kosh65
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2021

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Roughly 10K rds.

Based on how long until you see the groups start to blow beyond 1MOA with a Bartlein in an AR, shooting this calibre. This is a good calibre for longevity.

Comment

• diddlyv
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2016

Remember a new barrel costs a whole lot less than the ammo it takes to shoot one out, if properly maintained
                      Queen of Battle
                      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
                        X