• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smartravler
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2021

Steel Ammo

Anyone using steel ammo with their Grendel?

If so what are the results.
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

I've shot tons of the Wolf 100gr through my Grendel, even my 20" mini action bolt gun.

It's not all that accurate for me, since the bullets are slightly undersized for caliber, but I have replaced the factory bullets with either 100gr ELD-Ms or 100gr Match Burners from Mid South. Both are acceptably accurate bullets and are decent for practicing wind calls, etc. I don't worry about the cases damaging my barrels at all.

You definitely want a real Grendel chamber (or at least a Grendel II like Brownells sells) to keep the cases from sticking; .264LBC or any of the other Grendel "accurized" chamberings are no-go in my experience.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I haven't shot high volumes of it but it meets my expectations for what it is: bulk, steel cased ammo. About 3 MOA in my AA barrel. It has functioned perfectly.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• hill37
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Just got an email. SGAammo has it in stock right now. $15 bucks a box. $14 if you buy a case.

Comment

• Smartravler
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2021

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
          Just got an email. SGAammo has it in stock right now. $15 bucks a box. $14 if you buy a case.
          Thanks,just grabbed some. Will see how it shoots.

Comment

• GregP42
            Warrior
            • Mar 2015

I shot about 100 rounds last weekend of it, out of my 18" AA barrel, I get about 1.5 MOA. I had zero problems with it at all.

Comment

• grendelnubi
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

I purchased a large quantity years ago and shot very little of it. 1.5" moa for me as well.

I have been pulling bullets and using the wolf case and wolf powder to work up a load for the 90 TNT. So far at 31.6 grains I am running the 90 TNT at 2735 fps with .75 moa out of my 18" AR. I am going to keep going up in grains to see what velocity I can get.

I have noticed that the neck tension is not very consistent. Some projectiles come out easy and some very difficult which is another factor in the accuracy potential. Also the powder is a little dirty.

Comment

• GregP42
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                I purchased a large quantity years ago and shot very little of it. 1.5" moa for me as well.

I have been pulling bullets and using the wolf case and wolf powder to work up a load for the 90 TNT. So far at 31.6 grains I am running the 90 TNT at 2735 fps with .75 moa out of my 18" AR. I am going to keep going up in grains to see what velocity I can get.

I have noticed that the neck tension is not very consistent. Some projectiles come out easy and some very difficult which is another factor in the accuracy potential. Also the powder is a little dirty.

I have been trying that with some 90gr as well. So far I have only shot them out of a bolt, but they were decent if I remember, don't have my notes around me at the moment.

Greg

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

I quite like it. It's accuracy can be variable, with some groups well under 2 MOA, some groups much bigger. The strangest thing is it's muzzle velocity consistency. It is freekishly consistent, reliably. Almost always single digit standard deviation, and sometimes less than 5. I can't handload that good. They then cap it with a well designed bullet, but manufactured to bulk-tolerances and a bit undersized. It's actually a really good bullet profile, and is a lot like an SMK107 in shape. It has very long legs, particularly for its weight. When the stuff was had in hand for under 30 cents a round, it was a great deal. I love it's ability to load up a 24 round magazine, and cut loose in CQB drills and such, for cheap. Reliabilty has been very good for me. I've broken an extractor on it, but then, I've broken an extractor on brass too; so I'm not so sure the steel is to blame for that.

In short, I really like this stuff, and think it's well engineered, well made, and shoots well enough for what it is. The price point is to me a deciding factor on 6.5 G vs 6.8; as with 6.8 one is stuck at $1/round. With 6.5 Grendel one can certainly do $1/round for good hunting ammo, but cna shoot and plink for $.30/ round with this ammo - that's a big deal to anyone who shoots a lot.

Also, unlike 5.56, I'm not experienced any stuck casings or issues with steel. But then, I always be sure to close out a range session with steel, with a few brass rounds to help clean out the gunk from the chamber (it has a better adhesion to brass than steel).
                  4x P100

Comment

• Wanderson
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2018

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

Buy it while you can. Biden banned it.

Also, I doubt 6.5 Grendel is that popular outside the US so they will stop making it.
                      Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 08-22-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Those were the days. I got a couple hundreds arounds of my brass that way and have, cough, much more put up. I never shot a lot of Wolf SC but it was nice to know it was there.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                        X