reloading cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading cost

What are your reloading cost per round for target loads, or really price per box of 20. This will make it easier to compare to store bought ammo. What combo do you use? I want the most economical way to shoot my gun and still remain deadly accurate on the range out to 300 yards. I know the gun has a lot to do with it, but specs aside i just need a starting baseline. Reason i ask is i'm not sure if i need to build 233 upper to mess around with, I would prefer to just build the 65 for all purposes. However, this is going to be dependent upon the cost of ammo.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

123gr A-max is reasonably priced, very accurate, and somewhat forgiving for reloading.

Using that bullet, and averaging brass cost, I figure that I have somewhere around $0.50 per round invested. In addition, I estimate that approximately 2.5 minutes of my time is taken up per loaded round (not including tumbling). Thus, for 100 rounds, my cost is ~$50 and ~4+ hours of work. These numbers can vary based on components chosen, equipment used, and planned use of the ammo. (Loading for precision can be more costly and time-consuming versus loading for plinking and blasting.) In comparison, 100 rounds of Hornady factory ammo is ~$100, so my 4 hours of effort "saves" me ~$50. Also consider that once-fired brass from factory ammo could probably be sold for ~$0.33 each.

There are likely less expensive factory ammo options available, and likely more to come in the future, but I can't speak from experience regarding their accuracy.

Shooting Hornady factory loads and selling the brass is a reasonable option for someone who doesn't have the time or desire to reload, and / or doesn't want the initial expense of buying reloading tools and equipment.

Also worth noting that reloading rarely results in less money being spent. It usually results in more shooting instead.
    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      123gr A-max is reasonably priced, very accurate, and somewhat forgiving for reloading.

Using that bullet, and averaging brass cost, I figure that I have somewhere around $0.50 per round invested. In addition, I estimate that approximately 2.5 minutes of my time is taken up per loaded round (not including tumbling). Thus, for 100 rounds, my cost is ~$50 and ~4+ hours of work. These numbers can vary based on components chosen, equipment used, and planned use of the ammo. (Loading for precision can be more costly and time-consuming versus loading for plinking and blasting.) In comparison, 100 rounds of Hornady factory ammo is ~$100, so my 4 hours of effort "saves" me ~$50. Also consider that once-fired brass from factory ammo could probably be sold for ~$0.33 each.

There are likely less expensive factory ammo options available, and likely more to come in the future, but I can't speak from experience regarding their accuracy.

Shooting Hornady factory loads and selling the brass is a reasonable option for someone who doesn't have the time or desire to reload, and / or doesn't want the initial expense of buying reloading tools and equipment.

Also worth noting that reloading rarely results in less money being spent. It usually results in more shooting instead.
      Great info. thank you. Do you stay close to specs when reloading or do you have a special recipe that you use? What manual do you use for reference? Is your .50 per round cost based on brass you already own so your deducting that initial cost?

I have a hornady lock and load with all the bells and whistles and goodies needed to reload. I used to reload 30-06, 270, 45. then I started getting lazy and just starting buying ammo.

Comment

If you want the most accuracy you can wring out of the rifle, hand-loading is the way to go. As you re-use each piece of brass, your cost goes down again and again. Bwaites has some great posts on costs. Since you're already set-up, I would lean towards hand-loading for the Grendel, especially since accuracy is a priority for you.

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by henmar77 View Post
          Great info. thank you. Do you stay close to specs when reloading or do you have a special recipe that you use? What manual do you use for reference? Is your .50 per round cost based on brass you already own so your deducting that initial cost?
          Brass cost was figured in previously, but in somewhat of an average based on projected life expectancy (number of reloads).

For a no-nonsense load, I use Hornady fired brass sized with S-type die and .287" neck bushing, 27.7 grains of AR-Comp, CCI #41 primer, ~2.245" COL, and light crimp with Lee FCD. This duplicates the factory load in the barrels I've tried it in, both in velocity and POI, but has been more accurate. If using Lapua fired brass, I use the same recipe except a Rem 7.5 primer and 28.0 grains of AR-Comp. (CCI #41 is a hotter primer, but can be a tight fit in Lapua brass, so I use the Rem 7.5 and bump the charge a little.)

Disclaimer- Use load data at your own risk. Start lower and work up carefully.
          Drifter

Comment

The best and shortest way I've ever heard it described is this: You won't save any money if you reload, but you'll shoot a helluva lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwag173 View Post
              The best and shortest way I've ever heard it described is this: You won't save any money if you reload, but you'll shoot a helluva lot more.
              I doubt it. I have way to many things that im interested in. I know there a lot of people that love to do one thing (hunt, fish ,shoot, rock crawl), but not me. Wait, maybe that's not true, I do love to eat! Otherwise, all those things are just intermediate hobbies for me. However, I might feel different about it it there was a way to do all those things without having to leave my house or spend so much money lol.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

If you have lots of hobbies, reloading isn't one you want! It takes too much time from the others! Buy your ammo!

LOL!!

Comment

I agree, bwaites.

Comment

Working...
                  X