IMR 4227 - 20lb. Keg - Decades old - Anyone in Socal interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDub
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

IMR 4227 - 20lb. Keg - Decades old - Anyone in Socal interested?

I inherited a 20lb. keg of IMR 4227 probably from the 80s or 90s that I can not use (I have a half filled one which I'm gonna use for .357mag).

I don't wish to dispose of it. I'm not gonna use it. It smells okay and has been stored here in dry socal. I don't even know if anyone is interested on taking a chance on using decades old powder.

I've used 20 year old Varget, AA2520 and IMR 4895 from the 90s without ill effects but a 20lb. keg is a different animal.

The keg has a serial number on it.

I'm pretty sure I can't ship it anywhere.

Anyone have opinions on the viability of this powder and if I should even try to sell it to someone?
  • Happy2Shoot
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

That is very nice of you to offer.

I wish I lived near you; I would take it without concern.

I load for both 50 Beowulf and 44 Rem magnum.

If you plan on traveling near the D.C. region I would accept.

Comment

• JDub
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
      If you plan on traveling near the D.C. region I would accept.
      That would be one interesting road trip!

Comment

• GREYBUFF
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

what are you asking for it?
        I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• JDub
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by GREYBUFF View Post
          what are you asking for it?
          Good question! Not having any assurances as to the actual state of the powder makes me not want to sell it outright. That wouldn't feel right. I think I'd be more comfortable with some sort of barter. I'd love to get my hands on some small rifle/pistol primers but I know those are like gold nowadays.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

If it smells OK (like solvent- not acidic) it's probably fine. I've used powder recently from the '70s. Just work up because burn rates change from time to time. Wish I was closer (but not living in California! ????)

Comment

• fmyellowj
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2021

I found some IMR 4895 that as far as I can tell is pre-80's, steel body with bright red "DUPONT" on the front. I don't suppose there's any way to look up powder lots from decades back to figure out when it was made, is there?

Comment

• Old Bob
                Warrior
                • Oct 2019

Yeah, your can of IMR 4895 is probably pre 80s. I have a purple-colored, steel can that's around 20 years old. The logo is IMR with "Formerly supplied by DuPont" underneath the logo. The new plastic containers still have a purple label.
                I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                X