• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bjorn
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2021

One Hunting Reload in Today's Market

Looking for suggested recipes using Hornady 123 SSTs and components that are at least somewhat available, meaning at least some possibility to buy with current shortages. If you make a suggestion, please consider the availability of the components. No unobtainium please.
  • riuma
    Warrior
    • Jun 2018

Not every powder is available everywhere. Here in Montana I can get H335, 8208 and a number of other powders suitable for the G. What you load will be determined by what you can get.~Riuma

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Useful and I think available, CFE223, 8208xbr but watch this one for pressure signs.
      My fave is AR comp.
      Check powder valley often, I mean often, each day, they drop some powders from time to time and they go fast.
      CFE you'll probably wind up around 30 g + or -, with 8208 28.0 is about the top.
      Accurate 2520 also works and Leverevolution, Lever is around the same loading as CFE but develop it don't just copy the grains.
      Start low and work up.

AR comp and 8208 have some temperature stability, the others are more sensitive. But they do work.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I have seen CFE223 and LeveRevolution powders listed for sale. A lot of forum members load within a couple tenths of a grain of 31.0 with either powder. My go to load for 123 grain SST/ELD-M is 31.0 grains CFE 223 with CCI 450 primers in Hornady or Lapua cases.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

As for brass and SRP primers, well, you'll need to use what you have. Most use cci 450, I have found some cci 41's (mil primers) a couple of places and they are also good.
          Remmy small primers, never use the 6 1/2's, need to be 7 1/2. And Fed small, the AR primers have a better cup than the regular 205's. For a bolt gun it is less of an issue, anything but the 6 1/2's pretty much.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Lohman arms has the '41 primers, in stock right now...

Comment

• BVickery1974
              Warrior
              • Jun 2021

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Lohman arms has the '41 primers, in stock right now...
              Those are the winchester ones. Not sure if the same.

Comment

• tlen
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2019

$164.44 for 1000 primers at Lohman Arms is simply ridiculous.

Comment

• Old Bob
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2019

They sock to ya with the hazmat fee & shipping. Those are ridiculous...
                  I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2021

Tac has been available more than most powders since the shortages began. Also, Tac is supposed to be among the most temp stable of the ball powders.

Starline or Hornady brass (Starline is better).

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BVickery1974 View Post
                      Those are the winchester ones. Not sure if the same.
                      If you want primers, you gotta grab them when they show up.
                      Yes, those are mil #41 primers. Small primer, mil spec, similar to cci 41 or cci 450...
                      for AR's.
                      It's up to you however.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2021

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        If you want primers, you gotta grab them when they show up.
                        Yes, those are mil #41 primers. Small primer, mil spec, similar to cci 41 or cci 450...
                        for AR's.
                        It's up to you however.
                        Oh, I understand that, but didn't know how good the Winchester primers are. I know the CCI are pretty much good to go.

Comment

• sundowner
                          Chieftain
                          • Nov 2017

I got some Winchester 41s awhile back and they seen to work good .

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2019

In summary as was stated, not every component is available nationwide. If you need to order Vs visiting a LGS, what's available is night and day. I can get Tac, CFE223 and even put eyes on Varget a month ago at two stores within 40 miles of each other. Primers are available but 10 to 15 bucks per 100. (still better than online with hazmat fees and shipping PLUS tax.
                            Now add in that one man's ceiling is another man's floor, (aka my load works great in this rifle but may shoot like s#*t in yours).
                            Now add in your disruptive regional disasters, and..well, you are better off looking through reloading manuals on your smart phone right at the LGS(s) you visit and see what you can put together. I've done this before reloading for 270/25-06/etc during past shortage trying for a lighter bullet/longer range cartridge.
                            I know this isn't much help but it is a hard reality.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                              Looking for suggested recipes using Hornady 123 SSTs and components that are at least somewhat available, meaning at least some possibility to buy with current shortages. If you make a suggestion, please consider the availability of the components. No unobtainium please.
                              Man, you are done before you start!

I don't care what brand of primer you may be looking for. The chances of you finding primers are very small and the cost is very high. If a place has primers, the reason they haven't sold them is because the price they want is probably so astronomical that no one will buy them. Good luck at the on line stores. You better be on their site the instant the primers are posted and be faster than the ten thousand bots that just inundated their on line store and will buy every single primer within a couple of minutes.

Powder is a bit more available but you can't be picky about a specific powder so have a couple in mind.

Brass -- if you can find any new brass (other than PPU) I would say go for it. Or look at the Buy / Sell forum because guys regularly sell once fired brass.

Bottom line is this. You have a greater chance of buying factory loads of your choice than finding primers or powder.

Yes, every brand and type of primer is almost impossible to find.

Sorry but those are the facts. There is no secret stash of primers somewhere. No single brand or type of primer that is available.

LR-55

Comment

Working...
                              X