• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puddleglum
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2021

Reloading Bench

So it seem to me the first thing I will need for reloading is a bench. I live in a small house, and the best place for reloading will be my utility room. I have a spot there, but a 48"x24" bench is as big as I will be able to go. I will have a small counter near the bench, about 42"x18" that I could set up some equipment on as well; maybe powder trickling/weighing.

I will need to be able to move the bench, although only rarely, as it will be next to the access to my crawlspace. I will be able to get in and out of the crawlspace with most things, but if anything big ever needs to go down there, I will need to be able to move the bench. I have read people talking about benches being very heavy or mounted to the floor. How heavy will it need to be for operating the press? Maybe I can get away with a shelf underneath that I can load up with heavy stuff to make the bench more solid, but can take out if I need to move the bench.

Any advice on weight/stability of a bench?

Thank you,
    -pg
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I can't comment on a particular bench size, as a lot depends on the actual space you have and how other stuff in there is arranged.
    But as for sturdiness, very sturdy is what you need. In the case of a couple that I built myself in some earlier homes, I made sure to anchor them via long screws into vertical studs at the back of the bench... so having legs or brackets that back up to studs is the key.

As to benchtop, you can fashion a couple of 1/2" plywood sheets together, or use a 1". You want a nice steady, and flat surface so don't use the construction or other rough grades. There's probably a few u-tube vids on setting these up, would be good to look at.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sinclair
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I just googled "reloading bench plans for small spaces". and came up with a dozen or so sites from free to paid plans. I have plans that are for building a bench that fits in the back of a std closet. The same site offers two other sets of plans for about $14 ea.

In my experience two sheets of plywood glued together and placed on a flat smooth concrete garage floor with weights to hold I down until the glue cures will be stiffer than one piece the same thickness as the two together. Do not know why, it just seems to work out that way. What ever you, do avoid particle board or what ever they call it where you live. It will not support much weight and will sag rather quickly.
      "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
      Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
      Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I have no idea where I ordered this one from, but it was all the rage 7-8 years ago. I don't think it was more than $150 - my gut says $120 of pre-Biden dollars. Its dimensions are smaller than your requirements, but I will note that it sits next to my desk and I run my Chargemaster on the desk and do other tasks there too (including zoom and teams calls - and no one has any idea of what's just out of sight - I've even done them with a full upper in the vise!) Just load up the shelves with your hoard of projectiles and it's as stable as can be. Stability has never been an issue with reloading - only on occasions of heavy whacking with something in the vise. Maybe someone will remember where they came from (if they still make them).

IMG_20211017_121014_copy_648x486.jpg
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Oso Polaris
          Warrior
          • Apr 2019

If you plan to use multiple presses or similar devices that you will need to secure to the worksurface and don't feel like crowding the worksurface with a bunch of presses lining the countertop then you might consider a quick change plate flush mount on your bench.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Puddle,

I have two presses bolted to a timber Saw Horse. It makes it portable, the legs fold up under it so you throw it in the car and load at the range. The big press stays home when that happens which makes it a lot lighter. I sit to load on an office swivel chair next to where the scales are. Portability for me is the main reason but it might also work for you.

Last edited by Klem; 10-17-2021, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

I loaded for years with a Black-N-Decker workmate as the bench. Press mounted on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood 12'X12" that I C-Clamped to the workmate top. Made a useful setup at the range as well. When I got space I used a hardwood table/work bench from Home Depot Harbor freight sells the same style bench now. Still using that plywood plate and have others with other benches attached to them with holes and captive nuts in the bench top to bolt the plates down to it. With that bench bolted to the wall with lag bolts I have loaded up to 50BMG on it without it moving (if you ever resized and popped out primers on a 50BMG you know that takes some force. Captive nut and plate setups have held well. That bench is only about a foot or so longer than what you are talking about.

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

One of my cousins has a roll around toolbox with wood top of plywood bolted on top and loads on it keeping tools/dies/powder/bullets/primers/brass/etc in the drawers, works for him

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2019

My original loading bench was an old kitchen table with a thick laminated top that I had in my garage. I kept all of my gear stored in Tupperware bins underneath to help keep organized as well as limit amount of exposure to humidity, which is very high where I live.

What style of bench just want /need will largely be determined by number of reloading presses, and also if you want to store gear in the bench (drawers/shelves, etc.). Also, give some consideration to future needs/growth of your hobby. Now, take a look at the following and decide what you might want and be able to do.
                    1) Location - climate controlled or not... may effect how you store your gear (enclosed cabinet or open framework)
                    2) Space Available - depends upon the location and size of area you can dedicate.
                    3) Build or Buy - what are your woodworking/metalworking skills and tools you have available. DIY or buy something that you can use as is or do some minor changes to modify/convert it to better fit your needs.
                    4) Budget - how much do you have to spend for materials or to purchase something assembled.

I have seen sawhorses with a board strapped to them, Black&Decker collapsible work bench, inexpensive store bought workbench, converted mechanic tool boxes, various 2nd hand tables, old metal desks, etc. Figure out what you want/need.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• puddleglum
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2021

Great suggestions and lots of things to consider, thank you all.

I really like the idea of the press being detachable so I can use the bench for other projects as well.

I am thinking about a set of adjustable legs like this, since I am not sure how high I will ultimately want the bench to be. These are adjustable from 30-36" tall, and are 20" wide, so I could put a 48x24" top on them easily. It also looks like a bottom shelf could be added and a board across the back to add lateral support.

Bench legs.jpg

-pg

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2019

those legs will be fine... if they are modular/adjustable like in the picture then make certain to either use locking washers or blue loctite so that the nuts don't loosen during use. For a sturdy top you can double up 3/4" plywood using a layer of glue spread between the 2 pieces, and then using some wood screws drilled up from underside to snug up boards while the glue dries. Also, you'll want a secondary brace to stabilize the legs (prevent then from leaning/racking) as you use the reloading press. Either a horizontal board secured across the inside of the the legs, which forms a shelf, or a vertical board across the back of the legs.

Comment

• mtnlvr
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2019

I'm a fan of having the press mounted to a plate a few inches wider and deeper than the press. I use steel but it could just as easily be wood, just a bit thicker. I then use 2 C-clamps to hold it to my bench. The advantage is flexibility and bench space. I have four presses but generally only mount one at a time. This really frees up the bench top and allows for swapping presses quickly.

I would also recommend the double layer of 3/4" board whether plywood or MDF with glue and screws. You could consider seeing if your local home store has a piece of laminate for countertop left over on the cheap to glue down to the surface with contact cement.

Another option is a chunk of actual countertop you might find on Craigslist or the curb from someone's tearout. Countertops make great workbenches, garage or reloading bench.

Comment

• Sinclair
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post

I would also recommend the double layer of 3/4" board whether plywood or MDF with glue and screws. You could consider seeing if your local home store has a piece of laminate for countertop left over on the cheap to glue down to the surface with contact cement.

Another option is a chunk of actual countertop you might find on Craigslist or the curb from someone's tearout. Countertops make great workbenches, garage or reloading bench.
                              This reminded me that one of the local lumber yards sells 4' x 2' pieces of plywood of. whatever thickness that you want. They also sell the sink cut outs from a cabinet factory. Glue the counter top to the plywood and you will have a smooth top surface to work on and the plywood will stiffen The Whole assembly and add weight that will add stability.
                              "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                              Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                              Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                              X