• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiger260
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2018

Reloader 15.5 - Anyone use it yet?

I called a local reloading shop looking for some 8208XBR or CFE-223 to get started on my new Grendel. Of course they were out of both, but the guy suggested the new Reloader 15.5 that he has in stock. Does anyone have any experience with it yet here? For reference, I don't have any experience with any of the popular Grendel powders yet. Trying to start with known performers.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tiger260 View Post
    I called a local reloading shop looking for some 8208XBR or CFE-223 to get started on my new Grendel. Of course they were out of both, but the guy suggested the new Reloader 15.5 that he has in stock. Does anyone have any experience with it yet here? For reference, I don't have any experience with any of the popular Grendel powders yet. Trying to start with known performers.
    TG:

No experience but Reloader 15 was too slow for the Grendel and or not dense enough. Was perfectly safe but not fast enough for efficient velocities. Since Alliant numbers the Reloader line progressively in terms of 'speed', 15.5 would be slower than 15.

Probably safe to use but too slow.

LR-55

Comment

• Tiger260
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2018

I appreciate the feedback. I've only ever had to run Hodgdon 4350 in my other guns, and frankly never bothered to try to learn everyone's numbering system.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Reloader 15.5 is supposedly an offering designed to directly compete with Varget in terms of burn speed and temp sensitivity. Assuming that it has the same bulk as Varget, you would likely run into the same issue that Varget has in Grendel - you can't fit enough in the case to get decent velocity. I have no idea of what it's bulk might be, but since it's a direct shot, I would assume it's similar.

Someone needs to try, though!
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

A better option for you would be AR comp for the heavier bullets or H335 for the lighter.
          AR comp was developed as a more-temp-stable RE15, but winds up a tad faster. Which is fine for the Grrr.
          Lots of load info on it here on the forum.
          H335 for the 100-85 grainers.
          Or even AA2520 for most loads, I have seen this in stock off and on nowadays.
          Lever is another, much like CFE but a bit more fps, altho you need to do you own workups.

Come to think of it, do workups for any of these.
          But these are some options to look at.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• myrifle
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

I have some but have not done any work with it yet.

It is indeed too bulky for ar grendel loads.

Now in my cz bolt grendel with the longer mag length I can use it should prove to be useful. My money load for a 120 gold dot is with varget, will be interesting when I run the 15.5 with the gold dot to see what it does.

Comment

Working...
            X