• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

what do you guys think? norma and norma

posting a quickload im looking at playing with (working up to proposed shown)

yay or nay?

ogive to lands coal is like 2.33something (need to re-measure but im limited to mag length and i hear these like jump anyways)

just shooting at bits of paper from 100 to 600yards is all the fun im having.

bullet is the 66509 (golden target/gtx) but from what i can tell the only difference is the moly coating and the friction-proofed box is not marked so should be the same(ish)

quickload_norma_resized.jpg

I also have lvr that I can use but the load becomes pretty compressed (9% compressed per ql)
    Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-29-2022, 03:17 AM.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I tried the Norma/Norma combo many years ago - called it 6.5 Swedel. Went in a different direction back then, but in today's market, I'd be all over it. https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...+202+Norma+130
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

The numbers in the pic are too small for me to see, but ... I don't understand the measurement of "ogive to lands is 2.33xxx"
      Does that mean from the ogive fwd to lands is 2.33? Doesn't make sense to me.
      Now if you were saying 2.33 is OAL (base to tip) that hits the lands (ie, ogive hits the lands) then that would compute.... and be "long" in grendel world, where AR mags limit you to 2.260-2.290 in general.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        The numbers in the pic are too small for me to see, but ... I don't understand the measurement of "ogive to lands is 2.33xxx"
        Does that mean from the ogive fwd to lands is 2.33? Doesn't make sense to me.
        Now if you were saying 2.33 is OAL (base to tip) that hits the lands (ie, ogive hits the lands) then that would compute.... and be "long" in grendel world, where AR mags limit you to 2.260-2.290 in general.
        Your 2nd computation is correct. Oal is 2.33something before it hits lands. Mag let's me load to 2.3 and I'm targeting 2.95 and working around it once I find the optimal charge weight

Sorry had to resize due to forum restrictions.there is always zoom. Ctrl + mouse wheel up (or down for zoom -)

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

Saturday can't come soon enough.

Norma 130gr GTX/Golden Target
          Norma 202 26.3-26.9gr 10rds each .2 increments
          Hodgon LVR 29.5-30.1gr 10rds each .2 increments

2.295 OAL 1.680 CBTO
          Annealed Lapua brass
          CCI #41
          Slight crimp from Lee factory crimp die

Shooting with magnetospeed for chrono data. 5rds @100yeds 5rds @300yds

Extra sighters loaded up.. let's gooooooo

Worth mentioning 30.1gr of LVR I could detect the faintest of crunchyness when bullet seating but no die adjustment was needed.

Really hope these work out. I find something that works and them I can't buy any more... 120gr smk, and now the 130gr berger hybrid.
          Last edited by Zeneffect; 11-05-2021, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

Well today did not go as planned.

I forgot the bag that had my rear bags and bipod.

Chrono data for now, things were not smooth at the range to determine accuracy but things (for what they were) were not bad at all. Holding under 5" using one of those plastic triangle things @ 300yds and nothing else. Frigging weird to use with the magnetospeed trying to cant the rifle.

Didn't shoot the norma 202 loads because I feel it's a wasted range trip and I'm not going to waste the ammo. I don't have a lot of 202, and I don't see it coming back any time soon.

The lvr on the other hand... I have pleanty and they sell it in 8# jugs at the range so I sent a few of those. I'm really liking lvr more and more. Still have 5 rds more of each load to see about actual accuracy.

No signs of anything on the brass. Really rather excited about the potential here. Finally a combination that is currently available in bulk.
            Last edited by Zeneffect; 11-07-2021, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• Kosh65
              Warrior
              • Jan 2021

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

Got back to the range last weekend to re-run 29.7gr of LVR

I'm happy with it.

5 shot group @ 100yds.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2021

Comment

• Cal
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2019

Very nice!!!
                    Hoping I can get to that point as well.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

Well.... just not enough "oompf" to knock over steel rams @500M. I can see the impact, hear the return but just wouldnt fall. Blasting the steel pigs at 300M was point and shoot, no skill needed.

Dialing. From 300M to 500M required 9MOA dial up on my scope. Holdover from strelock was off, however the adjustment was spot on. Need to take some better measurements I guess... garbage in garbage out right?

What a fun range day. Definitely a preferred load for me.

Also scored 2# of 8208XBR from range staff so double win.
                      Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-31-2022, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• DCC83501
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2019

well that is some fine shooting and lever appears to be working pretty dang good for you!

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

It is now mid-july, and velocity has increased about 30fps, SD and accuracy still holding true. SD is now around a still respectable 7. Sadly, even with that extra 30FPS you can shoot the rams in the dick and they still might not fall. (The set appears to have been incorrect resulting in a harder than normal set where they were leaning forward.)

3 stages from today's match. I'm running a 22" criterion with the exact same norma + lvr load described previously.

Last edited by Zeneffect; 07-17-2022, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X