• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Downloading 6.5 Creedmoor to 6.5 Grendel power

I have a project where I want to do some experimenting with this. Going way below book minimum on your own can be cause problems. Curious if anyone else has any experiences or thoughts here?
    4x P100
  • outbreaker
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Problems I have seen in other calibers.

1. Allows for the throwing of a double charge ( any caliber that has less than 50% capacity powder charge)
    2. Powder charge is away from the primer and does not ignite causing the bullet to lodge in the barrel (several cowboy pistol loads)
    3. Gas builds in the barrel and causes a secondary ignition that is more energetic than the primary (300 win mag)

If you are going to do this I would move to a powder that is bulky and slow that will still allow for 80% case capacity fill.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I've heard Trailboss is used for such things. https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...-loads-r_p.pdf
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
        I have a project where I want to do some experimenting with this. Going way below book minimum on your own can be cause problems. Curious if anyone else has any experiences or thoughts here?
        Last edited by Harpoon1; 12-17-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Thanks, I have some 4895 I may try then.

I didn't know if fast powder, might be the way to go. People do this with pistol powder for ultra light loads in fact. I have some LT32, wich is pretty fast. But can't find any 6.5 CM data of any kind with that one.
          4x P100

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

and here we go - asked and answered. 123 gr bullets at Grendel speeds. Thanks.

from
            6.5 Creedmoor H4895 reduced loads: 123 SMK and 142 SMK When I started reloading center-fire rifle in the 90s I was mostly concerned with maximizing velocity.  A younger guy, I tried to squeeze ever…
            4x P100

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

LE,
              Hodgdon website has instructions for reduced loads with Trailboss and H4895 only.

H4895 lowest is 60% of max if i recall correctly.

I can't remember what Trailboss directions are off the top of my head.

Go to Hodgdon website and review the reduced loads they list.

-tdbru

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Think this is due to efficiency of burn?
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I've shot some 120-123 class bullets in my creed, looking for ~2700 or a bit less, successfully.
                    No recoil or kick much to them.
                    Not with H4895 (had none of that at the time), but using for example, I4166. And the 120 pro hunter or 123 sst.
                    Nice thing about I4166 is it still has some temp stability and i takes up some room in the brass, ~94% load by my grt estimates.
                    The pro hunter, which is stubbier, also took up some room. Thing you want is room taken up much as possible so powder doesn't shift around or give squirrely MVs.
                    I got MV's in the 2600's for them.
                    and the 120 Eldm too.
                    This was from a 20" barrel in 6.5 CM. I just did a quick load reduction in my grt in this down to ~36 gr powder and grt said it was still ok, ~2570 MV or so. Not sure how much lower I would go.

Hodgdon says you can go down to 60% load in H4895 but performance at those levels can be quirky and inconsistent, I tried a few one time and the MV's were more variable than I liked. So I up-charged it some for better more reliable response. So be aware of that.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• lazyengineer
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      I've shot some 120-123 class bullets in my creed, looking for ~2700 or a bit less, successfully.
                      No recoil or kick much to them.
                      Not with H4895 (had none of that at the time), but using for example, I4166. And the 120 pro hunter or 123 sst.
                      Nice thing about I4166 is it still has some temp stability and i takes up some room in the brass, ~94% load by my grt estimates.
                      The pro hunter, which is stubbier, also took up some room. Thing you want is room taken up much as possible so powder doesn't shift around or give squirrely MVs.
                      I got MV's in the 2600's for them.
                      and the 120 Eldm too.
                      This was from a 20" barrel in 6.5 CM. I just did a quick load reduction in my grt in this down to ~36 gr powder and grt said it was still ok, ~2570 MV or so. Not sure how much lower I would go.

Hodgdon says you can go down to 60% load in H4895 but performance at those levels can be quirky and inconsistent, I tried a few one time and the MV's were more variable than I liked. So I up-charged it some for better more reliable response. So be aware of that.
                      Thanks for the reply, always good to get more experiences. I will say, I use MP580 surplus, which is reportedly very similar to IMR 4166. It's a good powder and I've run a lot of 140 gr creedmoor with it, at Creedmoor level power. But I will say, it can be sensative to void space (it's fast for Creedmoor, so you generally don't have a very full case), and with small rifle primer brass, that very load would give me lots of hang-fires. That gives me pause on using it with more void that this project would have, even with large rifle primed brass. It's a bit tangential, because is 4166 really the same as MP380, etc? But the good news, is I have a can of H4895 a guy at work just gave to me as "can you get rid of this?" hand-off, only a couple weeks ago. To which, I said sure, I can dispose of that for you.
                      The 2017 publication table above, reports pretty remarkable accuracy for such a large void-space his reduced loads must have had - which is encouraging.
                      4x P100

Comment

• jbmarshtx
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2017

I used 28.5gr H4895 with the 108 scenar for high power silhouette in my 6.5 creedmoor. I don't know velocities, but it was accurate enough for my use which was as far as 375m/400y.

Oddly that's close to the same as an over max listed load I use for the 100/108s in my grendel bolt action.

Comment

• kmon
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2015

4895 can get you there and has been used for years in reduced loads, Hodgdon has instructions for reduced loads, I never have loaded for the Creedmoor but we did workup an accurate load for the 7mm-08 with 120gr Nose BT at Grendel velocities for a friends kids. Worked well on deer and was sub MOA in their rifle.

Comment

• Fess
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2019

Another powder that is commonly used in reduced loads is Accurate 5744. I have seen factory recommendations to use as little as 40% case capacity. If you do a search, just be aware that the powder has had several names, like XMP 5744 and AA 5744.

Comment

• Fess
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2019

In addition, here is an article on 6.5 Creedmoor reduced loads using H4895. It shows velocities and accuracy in his rifle for Sierra 123 and 142 SMK's at various loadings from 60% to 100% capacity.
                              6.5 Creedmoor H4895 reduced loads: 123 SMK and 142 SMK When I started reloading center-fire rifle in the 90s I was mostly concerned with maximizing velocity.  A younger guy, I tried to squeeze ever…
                              Last edited by Fess; 12-18-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X