• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topcaat1
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2011

AA2520 Old / New

Found a pound of old (Belgium) manufactured 2520 in my powder stash.
    Decided to compare it with my newly manufactured (Canadian) powder.
    Sense I never changed my recipe between manufacturers I assumed they were the same.
    Yes and no.
    Old style is composed almost entirely of spherical balls with a small amount of flattened balls.
    image (10).jpg

New style has a lot more (easily noticed at a glance) flattened balls.
    image (7).jpg

New stye is also denser. My powder measure throws 29.5 grains of the old as compared to 30.3 grains of the newly manufactured.

Despite the differences, when I loaded 123 grain ELDs with 29.5 grains of each they seemed almost identical.
    Unfortunately, I did not have a chronograph but both loads had the same elevation corrections on targets from 100 to 600 yards.

Just make sure you adjust powder measure to throw the same weight.
    Last edited by topcaat1; 12-21-2021, 05:38 AM.
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Interesting comparison. Thanks for sharing. Approx how many years do you suppose separate the manufacturing of these lots?

Comment

• topcaat1
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2011

If I'm not mistaken the Belgium plant that produced AA 2520 burned down / blew up in 2016.
      I had an ample supply at that time so I would guess I purchased the old around 2012.
      Just bought the new powder about 3 months ago.

Comment

• Old Bob
        Warrior
        • Oct 2019

My 8lb jug of AA2520 says "Made in Czech Republic." I bought it about 3 years ago. It looks like the sample in the bottom photo.
        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
        X