PPU brass loaded to Hornady specs but with a larger rifle primer? Am I safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tinker-S
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2021

PPU brass loaded to Hornady specs but with a larger rifle primer? Am I safe?

Hello All,
    I have recently taken to reload, just in case ammo gets to be hard to get, again.
    I looked for any similar thread, but I cannot find anything that describes my predicament:
    I am reloading some PPU brass I have collected, and I am following the parameters from the Hornady reloading manual, but with a difference: I am using large rifle primers, and I want to ask if anybody has any experience with this scenario. I do not want to be "that guy" who blew up his rifle and put somebody else in danger. I am using the following:
    -PPU 120GR HPBT bullets, PPU 1 time fired brass trimmed to 1.510", 24.1 GR of H335, CCI LR Mil Spec Primer, COL 2.240"
    -Hornady 123GR SST bullets, PPU 1 time fired brass, 25.3 GR of H335, CCI LR Mil Spec Primer, COL 2.245"

The rifle is a 20" Type 1, 1:8 twist. I loaded both rounds on the rifle, by hand, and they seem to chamber just fine, and both rounds would fit the magazine.
    I will not have a chance to use the range until next year, so I figure I would load 5 rounds of each, and ask if anybody have already successfully gone down this road before.
    Any and all feedback is appreciated, and I do not mind if somebody calls me a numbskull, as long as I also get some factual, useful information.
    If I am missing any protocol, just let me know.
    Last edited by Tinker-S; 12-29-2021, 01:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I have shot close to 2000 rounds of Starline 7.62x39 brass converted into 243 LBC (basically 6 Grendel). I have used many different bullet weights and powders and the main take away is use a true starting book load or even a few tenths less. The large primer results in faster ignition, faster total burn and hence, earlier peak pressure. I have no idea where your loads are in comparison to book, but start low. Don't expect to get near max charge and don't expect to get near max charge SRP velocities. The earlier pressure peak means that you can't use as much powder. Also, if the CCI mil spec primers are anything like the CCI 41s, they are hot for LRPs. I for the most part use CCI200s and Fed 210s.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Tinker-S
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2021

StoneHenge,
      Thank you for your reply.
      I am at minimum load with the 120GR PPU bullets, and in the mid-load range for the Hornady 123SST. I am using Hornady load manual, and I do not expect to load to the max. I am basically looking for a safe load. In the future, I will load some Hornady brass with Mil Specs SRPs, since that is the only option available for now, and since I am using an AR style, that would be the safest primer to use to avoid any other issues I read online.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

You might also want to do some searches online here on the PPU brass. Some threads, as I recall, indicated problems with PPU brass being too soft and dangerous to use, believe there were some instructions to return it. That problem may have been resolved for later runs of the brass, but you'd want to be careful and maybe this all down to be safe.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Here is a link to the 6.5 Grendel custom google search engine which works better than the forum search.

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

TS,
            in the converted x39 cases I have loaded, I usually end up 1 to 2 grains less than the cases with SRP. Reasons given above of course. again I will repeat from above threads, start with the starting load, not the max load.
            good luck,
            -tdbru

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Old Bob
                Warrior
                • Oct 2019

Recently purchased (last October) 80 rounds of PPU 6.5 Grendel ammo. Would the fired brass be worth reloading once or twice? I already have 20 dummies made from 7.62x39 brass & some of those red colored aluminum dummies.
                I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                  Recently purchased (last October) 80 rounds of PPU 6.5 Grendel ammo. Would the fired brass be worth reloading once or twice? I already have 20 dummies made from 7.62x39 brass & some of those red colored aluminum dummies.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

I know about Federal brass. I've had primers fall out after seating them in Federal .223 Rem brass that had already been reloaded twice. This particular lot of brass was shot in my Savage 110 rifle & never loaded exceptionally hot. Now days I only reload Federal brass (in any caliber) once & then throw it in my recycle barrel. I suppose I'll reload the PPU once & call it good.
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Tinker-S
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2021

Thank you all for your input.
                      The way I look at it, if this test batch goes without major failures, I will reload the rest of the brass I have on hand. I expect to reload this brass twice, and then keep some for dummy rounds.
                      By the way, when resizing, I noticed that at least 20 cases would not fit in the case gauge, not even after using a different set of dies, so, out of the 100 cases I had, I only have about half to reload. Some were damaged during ejection, and those are on the trash bin as well.
                      It would be a good investment to install an adjustable gas block to help out with the case damage, but I do not want to add money on an upper that I might end up selling.
                      I will not be able to test the loaded rounds till the second week of January, but I will post results as soon as I can use the facilities.

TS

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                        I know about Federal brass. I've had primers fall out after seating them in Federal .223 Rem brass that had already been reloaded twice. This particular lot of brass was shot in my Savage 110 rifle & never loaded exceptionally hot. Now days I only reload Federal brass (in any caliber) once & then throw it in my recycle barrel. I suppose I'll reload the PPU once & call it good.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Tinker-S View Post
                          Thank you all for your input.
                          The way I look at it, if this test batch goes without major failures, I will reload the rest of the brass I have on hand. I expect to reload this brass twice, and then keep some for dummy rounds.
                          By the way, when resizing, I noticed that at least 20 cases would not fit in the case gauge, not even after using a different set of dies, so, out of the 100 cases I had, I only have about half to reload. Some were damaged during ejection, and those are on the trash bin as well.
                          It would be a good investment to install an adjustable gas block to help out with the case damage, but I do not want to add money on an upper that I might end up selling.
                          I will not be able to test the loaded rounds till the second week of January, but I will post results as soon as I can use the facilities.

TS

There are several tweaks you can do to the rifle to help it baby your brass while increasing reliability.

Radiused ejector face is one. Polished bolt face is another.
                          De-edge the extractor lip corners and polish the extractor ramp without going crazy on it.
                          Clip coils on ejector spring.
                          Attach pile tape (Velcro fuzzy side) to the brass deflector.
                          De-edge, blend, and polish your feed ramps.
                          Tuned gas system

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tinker-S
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2021

LRRPF52,
                            Thank you for you recommendations.
                            I have attached a piece of tape to the brass deflector since it looks like some of the damage comes from when the brass is ejected and comes in contact with the deflector.
                            In the past, I did not care for the brass, because ammo was readily available, but now, I have to save it as much as possible. I reload for range time only, engaging targets as far as 1000 yards with multiple rifles. For any other event, or where there is a lot on the line, I have factory ammo.

TS

Comment

• Tinker-S
                              Unwashed
                              • Dec 2021

I have found some x39 Norma brass that I fired several months ago, and plan to resize to 6.5 Grendel. If I understand it correctly, I have to FL it and then fire form it in my 6.5 Grendel, right?
                              I hope I do not get the case stuck in the die.
                              Anything I am missing?

Comment

Working...
                              X