• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbowhuntr
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

Barnes 120g mb and ar comp

Anyone try ar comp with the barnes 120g match burner? I see a load in bft's list..
    120 A-Max / 28.0 AR-Comp / R7.5 / 22bbl / 2580 fps (Lane Pearce, ShootingTimes.com, 20140311)
    Would this be a max charge @28.0g??
    A starting point would be great if you guys might know this info.
  • BowChamp
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

27.6gr AR-Comp with 120gr/123gr bullets works very well in my rifles. AR-Comp is my favorite powder so far.

I've been as high as 28.2...not as smooth on the cycle and hard on my brass.

Comment

• Cal
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2019

Comment

• myrifle
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

If I started that low from some of the loads listed here, my gun wouldnt even cycle.

I used up some arcomp with several 120 grain hpbt bullets and always ended up in the 28 to 28.4 grain range. For a safe load that gave great sd/es numbers and adequate to great groups while providing a proper cycling gun.

Comment

• Cal
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2019

Myrifle,
          Sounds good, I too looked at the loads on BFT's list.
          The caution, IMO, is justified. Each rifle is different and has the potential for a spectacular failure.
          I was just trying to help someone find a starting point.

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Comment

• sbowhuntr
              Warrior
              • Mar 2019

Bobke, I was going to start around 26.3 and work up from there, not alot of info on arc so I figured the hoard was the place to ask.
              As for primers are the cci 450's the norm? I have been exclusively using these but I have rem 7 1/2, fed 205m and cci br4. I am giving cfe223 a try also as I have a few pounds on hand. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• myrifle
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

Not trying to be argumentative.

But having used both powders. Arcomp acts nothing like 8208 at or in the 28 to 28.6 grain range.

It has been remarkably stable and well mannered at those charge weights. That has been my experience with well over 14 grendels now with 120 gold dots, 123 eld-m's.

Only use hornady and starline cases in my ar grendels, and haven't had a compressed load yet. Well let me say i cant hear are feel any powder compression and my micro seating die isnt showing any signs that I'm compressing powder as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X