• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roughwater
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2022

97 Gn Absolute Hammer bullet for Grendel

Hi,

I am a fairly new AR-15 BCA side charging 16" barrel, 6.5 Grendel owner. Although I'm 71 this is my first ever AR but I am a long time reloader. I'll spare you all the lead up ladder test etc to my load development but suffice to say I didn't pick my final load work up at random. I check my velocities with a Magnetospeed sport.

I was hopeful when I bought this rifle but I wasn't sure what to expect as to accuracy. Fortunately accuracy has been great. My groups are not all in one hole but due to age I'm a little shaky and eyes are old so one inch groups are about as good as I can hope to do and that's what this rifle has given me so I am super pleased. I have shot it twice for accuracy and have got 2 one inch groups. My load is 32.8 gn of American made Aliant Power Pro Varmint. I'm using Lapua brass, CCI450 primers and of course the 97 gn Absolute Hammer copper bullet.
    Velocity is 2707 FPS. My previous load of this same combination of components I had used 33.1 gn with a velocity of 2732 FPS. But I decided to go with 32.8 gn of the Power pro as the load was too compressed and was pushing back on the bullet and I was concerned it could end up in pushed into the lands so I backed off a little. Only one negative to this barrel is that it has a very short throat forcing me to load to a short OAL of 1.2145 which put me about .020 from the lands. Meaning much of the bullet is shoved up into the case leaving less room for powder.
    However, there are also upsides to a short throat. Keep in mind this load with most other bullets of the same weight would give excessive pressure so if you think to replicate this load you best work up from a couple grains down to be safe. This Rifle is stock except for the trigger and safety.

Attached are targets from my last two shoots using the powder. I had also tried Accurate 2200 powder and ultimately had similar results velocity wise but accuracy wasn't as consistent. I think more testing with it might change that but I only have so much powder and bullets I want to throw at testing besides I have 2 lbs of power pro and only one of 2200 so for now this Power pro load will be my go to.

PP powder equal 1inch-2200 powder =.8 in group minus 1st shot.jpg
    .9 in group with Power Pro.jpg
  • ported45
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

That's why I sent 3 BCA uppers back to them. Fourth one had a spec throat, but wouldn't shoot better than a 5" group at 100 yards. No way I would hold on to one with a short throat.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

RW,
      well done. Looks like you sorted out the variables quite efficiently. Alliant PPV is supposed to deliver good to top velocities per bullet weight when I look through the Sierra loading manual.
      welcome to the horde.
      -tdbru

Comment

• Roughwater
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
        RW,
        well done. Looks like you sorted out the variables quite efficiently. Alliant PPV is supposed to deliver good to top velocities per bullet weight when I look through the Sierra loading manual.
        welcome to the horde.
        -tdbru
        Thanks TDBRU,

As to Sierra's manual,( https://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/...del-load-data/ ) that's where I got my idea to use this powder. I slightly hate to promote anything in these times of shortages but it's a winner in my mind for the Grendel. I have a number of higher powdered guns but the Grendel will be my go to gun for varmints and deer as it's so economical to shoot and more than minimally powerful.

Comment

• Roughwater
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
          That's why I sent 3 BCA uppers back to them. Fourth one had a spec throat, but wouldn't shoot better than a 5" group at 100 yards. No way I would hold on to one with a short throat.
          I can't say I blame you ported but for me accuracy is primary, and that's been great with my BCA barrel. Also I'm getting 90% if not more of the velocity I want so a short throat is not a great handicap for me. As you know a rifle barrel will wear out first from the lands closest to the throat so this barrel should live a very long time. I'm building a second Grendel upper around a Faxon 20" match barrel. I've ordered all the parts just waiting for them to come in. They are more expensive than BCA parts and I expect a good velocity improvement but I don't expect to see an accuracy improvement over my BCA upper.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-27-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X