• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • White Smoke
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

H322 and the Barnes 115 TAC-TX

I just finished confirming a ladder using H322 with the Barnes 115 TAC-TX bullet. I shot a seven-group ladder of four rounds each from 23.5 to 26.5 grains in half-grain increments. Kind of interesting. I got a double-node pattern from the seven loads. The bottom load of 23.5 was the tightest at 0.55" at 2180 f/s. Groups 2 ,3 and 4 increased in size and then started closing up again until group 7 measured 0.68 at 2484 f/s. I loaded up two 5-round loads to confirm and shot them today. The 23.5 load was just a bit larger than the 0.55" group it shot last week. The 26.5 load was the same, 0.68". Even though the 23.5 load is slightly smaller, I'm going with the 26.5 load because of the increased velocity. That's going with me to Texas in April for hogs and Axis deer. A quick note...the 26.5 load is a max load. The primers were JUST starting to show pressure. They were slightly flattened and the firing pin dimple was slightly cratered, not enough to worry about, but enough to tell me to not go any higher.
  • outbreaker
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

The chronograph will show the pressures long before the brass and primers will. Look for when you get an unexpected velocity jump that is a pressure spike. In the Grendel when you are seeing brass signs you are normally over pressue for an AR-15.

Be careful with Barnes bullets in the Grendel. I shot 3 does and 1 buck with them and they will not expand unless you hit bone. I had one doe shot in the lungs she ran 30yds and bedded up where I could see her but not get a shot. I watched her for the 2 hours it took her to bleed out. On cleaning the bullet entered between ribs and exited between ribs. No expansion solid center lung shot. No blood except where she was bedded. 2 of the 4 deer had these types of results. The other 2 were in the head so it did not matter. I quit using them after watching that doe die. Accurate, but unless you hit the bone they are worthless.

Now I shoot Nosler BT and killed over 200 deer and pigs with them. (MLD permitted lease and I was stacking does). On those I had the bullet fail 2/3 of the time (too much expansion) and those animals never moved a step. The other 1/3 the bullet worked perfectly and all were down within 50yds, dead.

Comment

• White Smoke
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2019

The differences in velocity between loads from low to high were 60, 49, 48, 46, 35 and 16. Judging from what I saw on the cases and what you say about the velocity changes, I would say I'm right at the top end.

Comment

• outbreaker
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Pressure spike at 60 definitely. I would not go there and shoot the lower node. Notice 49-35 was remaining somewhat constant in the jumps.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by White Smoke View Post
          I just finished confirming a ladder using H322 with the Barnes 115 TAC-TX bullet. I shot a seven-group ladder of four rounds each from 23.5 to 26.5 grains in half-grain increments. Kind of interesting. I got a double-node pattern from the seven loads. The bottom load of 23.5 was the tightest at 0.55" at 2180 f/s. Groups 2 ,3 and 4 increased in size and then started closing up again until group 7 measured 0.68 at 2484 f/s. I loaded up two 5-round loads to confirm and shot them today. The 23.5 load was just a bit larger than the 0.55" group it shot last week. The 26.5 load was the same, 0.68". Even though the 23.5 load is slightly smaller, I'm going with the 26.5 load because of the increased velocity. That's going with me to Texas in April for hogs and Axis deer. A quick note...the 26.5 load is a max load. The primers were JUST starting to show pressure. They were slightly flattened and the firing pin dimple was slightly cratered, not enough to worry about, but enough to tell me to not go any higher.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• outbreaker
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Good catch I missed that

Comment

• Oso Polaris
              Warrior
              • Apr 2019

I've shot a lot of the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX in 300BO and started load development on the 115gr for the Grendel using CFE 223. My velocities were in the 2400-2500 range. With the Barnes you want fast to maximize expansion. With it being a solid core bullet, it needs to have a jump to the lands. Otherwise, you will have a pressure spike.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                Warrior
                • Apr 2019

A while back I started load development on the 115gr for the Grendel using CFE 223. My velocities were in the 2400-2500 range. With the Barnes you want fast to maximize expansion. With it being a solid core bullet, it needs to have a jump to the lands. Otherwise, you will have a pressure spike.

Comment

• SCJim
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2019

I did some load development with Noslers and H322. Good accuracy but velocities were a bit low

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

The 115 gr Barnes factory loads for me, in my howa, were at 2510, 20" barrel. Shot pretty well.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by White Smoke View Post
                      I just finished confirming a ladder using H322 with the Barnes 115 TAC-TX bullet. I shot a seven-group ladder of four rounds each from 23.5 to 26.5 grains in half-grain increments.
                      Barnes doesn't give information for loading with H322.

If you compare Sierra 120gr data with Barnes 115gr data you get a very strong correlation with similar powders such as Benchmark, H355, and 8208 XBR.

I would stop around 25.8gr of H322.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                        Barnes doesn't give information for loading with H322.

If you compare Sierra 120gr data with Barnes 115gr data you get a very strong correlation with similar powders such as Benchmark, H355, and 8208 XBR.

I would stop around 25.8gr of H322.
                        Last edited by Harpoon1; 03-04-2022, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2018

Lol, that's awesome!

Thanks for the backup!

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                            Lol, that's awesome!