Are Rem 7 1/2 primers ok to use in the grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Rem 7 1/2 primers ok to use in the grendel?

I have been loading 223 and a 223 wildcat for awhile and i always use rem 7 1/2 primers. I can get them local for a decent price and like how consistent they are with my loads.

all the data i see for the grendel mainly lists cci450 primers. would the rem 7 1/2 be a suitable replacement?

thanks in advance.

That's all I use.

Comment

Sweet!! thanks

i thought it would be ok just needed to check. picking up a couple of powders tomorrow at the fun show and going to start to work up some loads

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

There are several tests on the 'net that show their flash as being more comparable to magnum primers than benchrest primers, such as this one:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Their cup isn't considered thin nor soft, suggesting that they're appropriate for semi-auto use. And though they don't quite produce the velocities that a CCI #41 does with the same powder charge, the pressure seems less too.

I use CCI 41's in Hornady brass because of a better fit in the primer pocket, but like Rem 7.5's in Lapua brass.
        Drifter

Comment

Been using Rem 7-1/2, that's all I could find when I bought them but I had no problems and they reloaded and shot good.

Just found some CCI 450 will see how they work. Are CCI 450s hotter than the Rem 7-1/2? Would there be any pressure issues to be worried about?

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
            Been using Rem 7-1/2, that's all I could find when I bought them but I had no problems and they reloaded and shot good.

Just found some CCI 450 will see how they work. Are CCI 450s hotter than the Rem 7-1/2? Would there be any pressure issues to be worried about?
            To equal the same velocity (and theoretically pressure) in the Grendel case, I use ~0.3 grains less powder with CCI 41's compared to Rem 7.5's. This primarily applies to AR-Comp powder and 123gr bullets, so equation might vary slightly with other propellants and projectiles. I would assume that CCI 450's are comparable to CCI 41's, but can't say for sure since I haven't used 450's.

I've noticed a similar relationship between 41's and Rem 7.5's in another cartridge as well.
            Last edited by Drifter; 03-23-2012, 05:15 AM.
            Drifter

Comment

that is very interesting, thank you.

i am going to pick up some 41's or 450's if i can find them at the fun show. and try them. i just like the idea of stocking one primer but

ya have to do what ya have to do and if the cci's are better i may just have to use them.

thanks drifter.

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
              To equal the same velocity (and theoretically pressure) in the Grendel case, I use ~0.3 grains less powder with CCI 41's compared to Rem 7.5's. This primarily applies to AR-Comp powder and 123gr bullets, so equation might vary slightly with other propellants and projectiles. I would assume that CCI 450's are comparable to CCI 41's, but can't say for sure since I haven't used 450's.

I've noticed a similar relationship between 41's and Rem 7.5's in another cartridge as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                That's all I use.
                Ditto

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  That's all I use.
                  Me too.

- PA