• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeyMosin
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2022

Lt-32/lt-30

I recently came across these two powders in my search for anything on the shelves. It seem that LT-32 Is actuallly really close to IMR 8208 if not actually being a select batch of this powder. This seems to be the gold standard when it comes to reloading 6.5 Grendel, I havent seen many people talk about the LT-32. Does anyone have any experience with this powder? If so I'd love to hear about your experience and what your loading!
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MikeyMosin View Post
    I recently came across these two powders in my search for anything on the shelves. It seem that LT-32 Is actuallly really close to IMR 8208 if not actually being a select batch of this powder. This seems to be the gold standard when it comes to reloading 6.5 Grendel, I havent seen many people talk about the LT-32. Does anyone have any experience with this powder? If so I'd love to hear about your experience and what your loading!
    M&M:

I wouldn't use 8208 as the Gold Standard for loading the Grendel. It is way too unpredictable when it closes in on its higher loads.

Don't know what powder would be considered the 'Gold Standard'. Personally, I think it is 2520 but am sure about everyone here has their own opinion on it.

I think Klem and LRRP-52 probably know that those powders are and can offer you good advice.

LR-55

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Here is a page of Reloader 15.5 load data.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-25-2022, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

I use LT32 a lot. It's considerably faster than 8208, so don't interchange those 2. It's basically 4198 speed.

I use it under 90's and 85's - and even there it's a bit fast for Grendel - but good. It'll cost you maybe 100 fps vs some other options, but that's not a huge deal, and is very accurate powder. I love the stiff.

After much testing - my personal #1 fav general Grendel powder is actually TAC. I get my best accuracy and highest velocity with it.

That said, I do quite like LT32, and use it on the light end. It's my powder of choice in 7.62x39 brass with TNT 90's.

I will say, LT30 is probably not a great choice - as it's even faster.
        4x P100

Comment

• outbreaker
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
          I use LT32 a lot. It's considerably faster than 8208, so don't interchange those 2. It's basically 4198 speed.

I use it under 90's and 85's - and even there it's a bit fast for Grendel - but good. It'll cost you maybe 100 fps vs some other options, but that's not a huge deal, and is very accurate powder. I love the stiff.

After much testing - my personal #1 fav general Grendel powder is actually TAC. I get my best accuracy and highest velocity with it.

That said, I do quite like LT32, and use it on the light end. It's my powder of choice in 7.62x39 brass with TNT 90's.

I will say, LT30 is probably not a great choice - as it's even faster.
          Love TAC in the Grendel. My ladders show a wide harmonic with it that makes for a very forgiving powder. 120gr SMK are producing .3-.5" 5-shot groups at 100yds. 120gr NBT are shooting about .5-1" at 100yds. Good temp stability from what I have seen.

Comment

• MikeyMosin
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2022

may be better suited for .223 / 5.56 loads, Ill have to do some more research. I picked up some LT-30 last time I was at cabellas and the only reason I did was because it mentions right on the can that its a "great" powder for 6.5 grendel.

I would love to try some of the Alliant powders but have yet to find any in stock.

I did manage to get one pound of TAC and 2520 which i kind of figured would be my best bet, but am having a hard time finding projectiles. I recently ordered some Hornaday 123 SST's and am waiting on them to come in. Currently I have some privi 120 HPBT's and berger 130 vld hunters and there is not much load data for either of those. The 6.5 handbooks show a load with 2520 for the 140 vld's but being new to reloading, I would like to stick with published data for my first batch.

Anyway thanks for the imput!
            Mikey

Comment

• MikeyMosin
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2022

I have been looking at the western powders book again and I see it does show some loads in there for these powders, I have been looking at so many different reloading manuals recently, It gets a bit overwhelming. Would it be unsafe to use the SMK 120gn HPBT for the privi bullets I have?

Comment

• outbreaker
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

I have been looking at the western powders book again and I see it does show some loads in there for these powders, I have been looking at so many different reloading manuals recently, It gets a bit overwhelming. Would it be unsafe to use the SMK 120gn HPBT for the privi bullets I have?
                I was reloading the Grendel when almost no load data was available (unlike today) I used powders like Benchmark that everyone said would blow up my rifles. Yet the load I developed was in what is now considered the safe range of Benchmark.

I would start at the starting load for TAC with the 120 SMK and shoot a ladder in .2 gr increments and use a chrono to look for pressure spikes. Test it and see.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Certainly not unsafe - just use their recommended load. It won't have the velocity of a slower powder, but will still work and be safe. Just be aware it will have a fast pressure fall off with such, so maybe will starve the gas port and short stroke on you in an AR15, depending on your gas system. Rifle length probably won't cycle. Carbine probably still will. Middy will be a test and see.

Also Westerns manual is the best one. When in doubt, follow that one.
                  4x P100

Comment

• outbreaker
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Starting load on Westerns info and Hodgdons info is showing the range on TAC is 25.8-28.7

Comment

• MikeyMosin
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2022

I didn't necessarily mean for the LT powders, I was curious because there is no load data for the privi bullets, and it looks like the smk HPBT is the closest. Its tough because privi doesn't give a BC or SD data for the projectiles. I'm sure if I had this info it would be easier to find a proj. that is close to the specs.

Comment

• MikeyMosin
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2022

Originally posted by outbreaker View Post
                        I was reloading the Grendel when almost no load data was available (unlike today) I used powders like Benchmark that everyone said would blow up my rifles. Yet the load I developed was in what is now considered the safe range of Benchmark.

I would start at the starting load for TAC with the 120 SMK and shoot a ladder in .2 gr increments and use a chrono to look for pressure spikes. Test it and see.

thanks!

Comment

• MikeyMosin
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2022

Ive also been thinking about using the load data for the 140 vld to work up a load for my 130's as they data usually shows lower powder loads for heavier bullets. As long as i can get them to chamber with out them jamming, I believe this should also be a safe place to start?

Comment

• MikeyMosin
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2022

Starting load on Westerns info and Hodgdons info is showing the range on TAC is 25.8-28.7

Thats another thing i should keep in mind is comparing manuals, It seems like you can get a good feel for the range as most will be in the same "ball park"

Again Im really new to reloading so I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2019

Ive also been thinking about using the load data for the 140 vld to work up a load for my 130's as they data usually shows lower powder loads for heavier bullets. As long as i can get them to chamber with out them jamming, I believe this should also be a safe place to start?
                              That's a rabbit hole I suggest you skip for now. Running 140 in Grendel with any powder is going to be a slow bullet that never gets up to speed. It will have a short range of still actually flying above supersonic transitional speeds (i.e not accurate at long range and a rainbow trajectory requiring very consistent velocity and range estimation to hit), and have terminal impacts at below the engineered performance range. Basically, it will be a frustrating exercise at trying to throw bricks. Stick with the 123 or less, is my suggestion.
                              4x P100

Comment

Working...
                              X