• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fdbyrne78
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Advice about pressure signs

I have a strange problem. At least I think it's strange. I worked up a load for one of my rifles. It's amazingly accurate. It's easily .4" to .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It's a moderate load with moderate velocity but the gun is chewing up the brass. Ejector marks can be seen on every piece of brass with some having raised burs. Primers look OK.

Since the load data isn't particularly hot I assumed the marks on the brass were from the gun being over gassed. I turned down the gas until the BCG would barely lock back. I swapped in tungsten buffer weights until the buffer weighed almost twice as much as a stock rifle buffer and the marks only got a little better. I rounded the edge of the ejector as well.

I have a load for 90gr TNTs with benchmark that shoots good and the brass looks great.

Does my load data seem hot enough to cause the results I'm having?

Load:

26.6gr AR Comp
    Hornady brass (1x)
    #41 primers
    123gr ELDM
    Mag length (not into the lands)
    2500 fps

Gun:

20" Satern cut rifled barrel
    Rifle gas
    Rifle lower
    Last edited by fdbyrne78; 03-26-2022, 02:41 AM.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Turn the gas off completely. If you still get marks, it's pressure. If not, it's timing or excess gas.

Without digging into my notes, mid 26's is my max with AR Comp and 120/3s in my tight chambered 22" JP barrel. It's right around 2500.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Yes, that is hot load - beyond SAAMI.

Suggest 25.8 max, or SH's 26, but no more.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2017

Hmm. Fair enough I guess. Bummer though. It shoots so well.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Agreed with these guys that is a hot load. You stated it was a moderate load and I'm wondering where you got that?
          I'll go to 26.4 in my bolt and below 25.8 in my AR using AR-Comp and 120-123gr anythings.

Comment

• myrifle
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
            I have a strange problem. At least I think it's strange. I worked up a load for one of my rifles. It's amazingly accurate. It's easily .4" to .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It's a moderate load with moderate velocity but the gun is chewing up the brass. Ejector marks can be seen on every piece of brass with some having raised burs. Primers look OK.

Since the load data isn't particularly hot I assumed the marks on the brass were from the gun being over gassed. I turned down the gas until the BCG would barely lock back. I swapped in tungsten buffer weights until the buffer weighed almost twice as much as a stock rifle buffer and the marks only got a little better. I rounded the edge of the ejector as well.

I have a load for 90gr TNTs with benchmark that shoots good and the brass looks great.

Does my load data seem hot enough to cause the results I'm having?

Load:

26.6gr AR Comp
            Hornady brass (1x)
            #41 primers
            123gr ELDM
            Mag length (not into the lands)
            2500 fps

Gun:

20" Satern cut rifled barrel
            Rifle gas
            Rifle lower
            Mag length( not into the lands) tells us nothing.

Have you measured too be sure you are not into the lands?

I had a satern barrel once. Got rid of it because I had the same issues yours is showing only it did it with factory amax and eld-m ammo. Turns out it was short throated.

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Yes, that is hot load - beyond SAAMI.

Suggest 25.8 max, or SH's 26, but no more.
              Where do you get this SAMMI data? (this is me asking; not challenging)

Threads like this
              Anyone try ar comp with the barnes 120g match burner? I see a load in bft's list.. 120 A-Max / 28.0 AR-Comp / R7.5 / 22bbl / 2580 fps (Lane Pearce, ShootingTimes.com, 20140311) Would this be a max charge @28.0g?? A starting point would be great if you guys might know this info.

imply going 27gr and beyond is OK with this powder that weight class bullet. I ask because I have a lot of confusion as well on just what is the appropriate max with this powder and Grendel - as Alliant doesn't have any official ARComp data that I can find for Grendel. I have personally run it 26.0 (2422fps), 26.5 (2462 fps), and 27.0 (2507 fps) gr in some ladder testing in a 20"; but I mostly just made that up based on other people's posts here. Hornady lists factory ammo with this factory loaded ammo in 24" BBL as 2580fps. Of course, with a tail wind and some kind of greased barrel brand new BBL, as we well know, and with tuned powder. But to me, a 20" going about 2500 fps isn't an automatic alarm bell.

FWIW, my worst accuracy was with the hottest loads, so I'm likely going to settling on the 26.0 gr charge, which seems OK in my rig (and gave me a strikingly remarkable 0.5MOA group). Perhaps a mistake?
              4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Lazy,

I understand.

Quickload.

26.5 AR Comp lists 56,700lbs at that load at 'mag length', which is 2.283" for a Grendel SS mag. Used the program's default case capacity 35.99gns of water.

QL outputs 2,518fps for a 20" barrel, which is as close to the OP's stated velocity as it gets.

Given velocity is a proxy for pressure I am very comfortable saying it is over SAAMI. Note, given the sensitivities regarding QL on the Forum lately I did not state the predicted pressure. I Just said that it is a hot load over SAAMI. Plus the ejector swipes which are also indicator that it is too hot.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Lazy,

I understand.

Quickload.

26.5 AR Comp lists 56,700lbs at that load at 'mag length', which is 2.283" for a Grendel SS mag. Used the program's default case capacity 35.99gns of water.

QL outputs 2,518fps for a 20" barrel, which is as close to the OP's stated velocity as it gets.

Given velocity is a proxy for pressure I am very comfortable saying it is over SAAMI. Note, given the sensitivities regarding QL on the Forum lately I did not state the predicted pressure. I Just said that it is a hot load over SAAMI. Plus the ejector swipes which are also indicator that it is too hot.
                  I haven't run QL, but I when I ran Gordon's, it worked fine in most calibers, but in 6.5 Grendel it was claiming common loads as way WAY over max. Maybe QL is better, but aside from freaking me out, I lost confidence in the modeling software when it comes to 6.5 Grendel. That said, you seem to run it a lot, so perhaps in your own experience you have more faith in QL matching your own observations?
                  4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Lazy.

You have to admit, the OP's 2,500 fps is pretty close to 2,518.

2,500 is pretty coincidental so I suspect the OP is rounding here.

I use QL in all calibres because, among other things, it is conservative. So while the predicted velocities are never exactly what the chrono measures it gives me confidence it is safe. I compare QL against manufacturer's tables and start 10% low. I think the loads on this forum tend to be hot so don't pay too much attention to what others do here. Plus the recent criticism of it here was undeserved.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

Any criticizim of QL being a optical media only product is well deserved. Either the German government is stuck in 1996 or we are being lied to and the developers don't care to implement things like activation keys or other form of intellectual property protection/licensing.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

Lazy.
                        .... I think the loads on this forum tend to be hot so don't pay too much attention to what others do here. ....
                        To be honest, I think you're right on that part.
                        4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                          Any criticizim of QL being a optical media only product is well deserved. Either the German government is stuck in 1996 or we are being lied to and the developers don't care to implement things like activation keys or other form of intellectual property protection/licensing.
                          Zene,

Absolutely - No arguments from me. It is just crazy they are using disks and the postal system in 2022.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Lot's of good questions. I'll see if I can provide some answers.

I don't have my data with me but I'm not into the lands. My satern barrel had a short throat but it's not that short any more. The rounds drop free from the chamber when inserted by hand. I have measured the jump but don't have my numbers with me.

As for me calling it a moderate load, that was probably a poor choice of words. I don't remember where I got my original load data but 26.6 is a grain less than what many on this forum use all the time. My other Grendel can go higher without signs.

I think that you are all correct. That load MAY be safe in some guns... but not mine apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X