X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

If it's the later batches, then that means >$0.75 Wolf Steel that's misfiring and causing split cases.

Ouch.

I suggest contacting Wolf Customer service, who actually have an excellent reputation of standing behind the product.
    4x P100

Comment

• myrifle
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
      If it's the later batches, then that means >$0.75 Wolf Steel that's misfiring and causing split cases.

Ouch.

I suggest contacting Wolf Customer service, who actually have an excellent reputation of standing behind the product.
      I would rather make something useful out of them.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
        Also I have reused the wolf powder for 90 TNT loads and they shoot very good, .75" at 100 yards using 31.6 grains of wolf powder at an average velocity of 2741 fps out of an 18" barrel.
        As a total mindbender, I regularly get single digit SD's out of Wolf Steel Grendel. Sometimes pushing 5 fps SD range. I have no idea how that's even possible, rarely do my reloads do as well.
        4x P100

Comment

• Growler
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer
          As a total mindbender, I regularly get single digit SD's out of Wolf Steel Grendel. Sometimes pushing 5 fps SD range. I have no idea how that's even possible, rarely do my reloads do as well.
          That is interesting. How much of this low SD would you attribute to consistent neck tension or other case properties that may be less variable in steel?

Comment

• grendelnubi
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

I can tell you this regarding wolf neck tension. It is horribly inconsistent. Some projectiles will pull easily but most do not. Some of this could be due to age however. I use an RCBS puller and there has been several that I have had to use pliers.

Comment

• myrifle
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
              I can tell you this regarding wolf neck tension. It is horribly inconsistent. Some projectiles will pull easily but most do not. Some of this could be due to age however. I use an RCBS puller and there has been several that I have had to use pliers.
              I'm useing the hornady bullet puller. Works good, some are easy and some seem like they are welded to the case lol. But I got nearly 700 pulled since friday night.

Now just to find time to go and test them.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                That is interesting. How much of this low SD would you attribute to consistent neck tension or other case properties that may be less variable in steel?
                It's a mind-mender for me; but yet, it's quite repeatable. I get this again and again. I won't say 100% of the time, but very often. In order to actually do that, the lots of Wolf Steel I have have to have remarkably consistent bullet weight, powder charge, and and I guess I would assume neck tension.

The fact that others report such remarkable accuracy with their Mexican Match loads upon the wolf Steel round (which isn't derogatory btw; as a people - we seem a bit overrun with projections of inferiority complex' these days); which is only likely if the gunpowder charges are quite uniform as well.
                4x P100

Comment

Working...
                X