• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Hornady CX bullet

6.5mm .264 120 gr CX™ The CX™ (Copper alloy eXpanding) bullet from Hornady represents the most advanced monolithic hunting bullet on the market. Its optimized design offers extended range performance, greater accuracy, high weight retention, and deep penetration. MONOLITHIC COPPER ALLOY BULLET:  One-piece copper alloy won't separate and delivers devastating terminal performance, deep penetration, and 95% weight retention. HEAT SHIELD® TIP:  The Heat Shield® Tip is made of a heat resistant polymer that resists aerodynamic heating and provides a consistently high BC for the bullet's entire flight path. The Heat Shield® tip also gives the bullet a perfect meplat (tip) for bullet-to-bullet and lot-to-lot consistency. OPTIMUM GROOVE GEOMETRY:  The grooves on the CX™ bullet maximize aerodynamic performance while effectively reducing bearing surface and fouling. NONTRADITIONAL OPTION FOR LARGE GAME:  Fully California compatible and appropriate for use in other areas that require nontraditional bullets, CX™ provides a great option for everything from medium-size to large game. This is not loaded ammunition.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I've seen it too. Not sure - like you - if it has a lower opening threshold or not.
    Believe it's definitely a re-tipped gmx with their "heat resistant" tip stuff.
    And the heat resistant tip is really for the longer-range shooting, so perhaps more pointed (haha) towards the creedmoor?
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

Yup, I also believe this is the GMX with Hornady's heat resistant tip. Don't know if expansion will be any different than the GMX though. Midway USA has them too. Limit of 2 boxes of 50. Graf's... no limit apparently.

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Fess
        Warrior
        • Jun 2019

Hornady made a big introduction of the CX cartridges a few months ago. They claim to have made several changes, but the one that is most obvious is the shape of the grooves in the shanks, which is said to reduce drag slightly. They also introduced several new, higher BC bullets. At this time it is unclear whether they changed anything other than the grooves in the 6.5mm 120 grain, but their presentations indicate that there may have been some material and cavity design changes in some of the rounds.

Comment

• ported45
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Promo reading material sent to the house by Hornady states the same expansion threshold as the GMX was; about the same as a Barnes TTSX.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Comment

• ported45
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

I was really hoping that Hornady would get a clue about the Barnes LRX and get their new CX design to drop the expansion to 1600 fps (or even a bit lower) instead of keeping it up around 1900.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

It doesn't look like hornady had the Grendel in mind with this bullet. More like the creedmoor. 100 grain would have been nice.

Comment

• Fess
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2019

Does the 120 grain copper bullet fit in a Grendel? My guess is that it would be about as long as a 140-150 grain lead-cored bullet since copper is less dense than lead. Hornady has been spending much of it time on long-distance cartridges which tend to be going faster at hunting distances. Cavity Back sell 6.5mm monolithic bullets supposedly open down to 1500 fps. They seem to have spent more time optimizing bullets for AR-alternative cartridges like the Grendel, SPC and Blackout. The 6.8 SPC guys rave about them and they seem to do a good job at distance for them.

Comment

• ported45
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                    Does the 120 grain copper bullet fit in a Grendel? My guess is that it would be about as long as a 140-150 grain lead-cored bullet since copper is less dense than lead. Hornady has been spending much of it time on long-distance cartridges which tend to be going faster at hunting distances. Cavity Back sell 6.5mm monolithic bullets supposedly open down to 1500 fps. They seem to have spent more time optimizing bullets for AR-alternative cartridges like the Grendel, SPC and Blackout. The 6.8 SPC guys rave about them and they seem to do a good job at distance for them.
                    The 127 LRX is about the same length as the 129 ABLR. The 140-150 lead bullets are going to be quite a bit longer than a 120 copper.

Comment

• Fess
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2019

I should have made the point "of the same basic shape " or "with similar ogive and tail design". Hornady's Copper/Zinc alloy is considerably less dense than lead. Copper is only 79% as dense as lead and the zinc fraction only 62% as dense. A copper alloy bullet of the same weight with the same ogive and tail designs will be longer. If you listen to the Hornady podcast about the CX line, they talk about the challenges posed by the longer, lower density CX bullets. It is not impossible for a copper alloy bullet to be shorter, of course, that is why I should have added the qualifier. Many copper alloy bullets have stubbier ogives and boattails. Some lead-cored bullets like the 108 Scenar have large air cavities. Other lead cored bullets have larger, light plastic tips or a combination of air cavity and plastic tip which increases their lengths.

Comment

• Modoc
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2022

Since I was only able to find the Hornady CX Bullets, I am going to be trying to develop a load for them in the Grendel. We will see what my Ohler Chronograph has to say out of the Howa Mini.
                        Last edited by Modoc; 07-14-2022, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Dinny
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

They might get tested by someone we all know someday sooner than later. Hint...hint..

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                            They might get tested by someone we all know someday sooner than later. Hint...hint..

Comment

• Modoc
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X