• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Nowlin
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2022

7.62 x 39 Brass Conversion

How much luck have ya'll had making 6.5 Grendel out of 7.62 x 39 brass?
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

I've converted maybe 100 pcs of new Hornady with good success. Wasn't too bad. I wouldn't do it unless there was no other option.

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
      How much luck have ya'll had making 6.5 Grendel out of 7.62 x 39 brass?
      There are countless threads on this. For me, I've had great luck. There are no additional processing steps required, and you don't need to fireform before calling it good. Basically adjust the die a touch and just run it. Can get about a 10% initial loss rate of collapsed necks sometimes - oh well. As to life, I'm on 6th cycle now with some of it. A couple tips:
      -Case capacity is significantly different - it needs it's own load data.
      -Brand variability is quite large, segregate by headstamp for sure.

Some of the best accuracy I've ever gotten was with once fired 7.62x39 brass that wasn't even fireformed yet.

I really don't know why people treat it with such disdain - it's as easy to process as Grendel Brass and shoots as well.
      Last edited by lazyengineer; 08-08-2022, 03:27 PM.
      4x P100

Comment

• Dave Nowlin
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2022

Thank you Sir. In the past I have made .30 Herrett and .309 JDJ as well as .300 Blackout. All of which used brass of a different caliber. I've also used .300 WSM brass to make .270 WSM In fact to shoot .309 JDJ you must use .444 Marlin Brass as there is no .309 JDJ brass.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Here is a link to a google custom search for this forum. It works real well for finding specific information on this forum.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

I made about 600 rounds worth back when Grendel brass was hard to find. The fire forming loads were surprising accurate and the brass worked fine. I now have a bunch of Hornady so the fire formed stuff is on the shelf (loaded) for a rainy day.

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Constitutionalist View Post
              I made about 600 rounds worth back when Grendel brass was hard to find. The fire forming loads were surprising accurate and the brass worked fine. I now have a bunch of Hornady so the fire formed stuff is on the shelf (loaded) for a rainy day.
              I have a pet-pondering on this. In my observation, Grendel chamber necks are cut very generous in diameter size. I think to better serve running steel? Using 7.62x39 brass, which will give a thicker neck wall, and so more fully fill the neck portion of the chamber. And so, does this give better accuracy?
              4x P100

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Comment

• Dave Nowlin
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2022

I know some of you appear to look down on this practice but since 6.5 Grendel brass at present seems as rare as hen's teeth, those of us recently into the 6.5 have to do something. Th aggravating thing is you can't find 6.5 inside neck reamers either.

Comment

• Dave Nowlin
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2022

So far I have thoroughly lubed and sized over 1 hundred without a single crushed shoulder. I am using an old RCBS single stage press made back in the 70s with RCBS dies.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Dave Nowlin
                        Unwashed
                        • Aug 2022

I bought 250 pieces of once fired 7.62 x 39. I threw away about 3 because they had small primer pockets. Around here right now it is much easier to find large rifle primers than small.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

I've recently come close to putting closure on close to 3,000 rounds of converted Starline 7.62x39 in a 243 LBC (aka 6 Grendel) with much success. That barrel is pretty much shot out (5k ish) and I'm going to put closure on a long thread about it when I do. I've got about 150 rounds of MOA ish ammo ammo left to shoot and then I'm going to take what brass is left and load it with 400 or so really gnarly pulls with some Magnum LP primers I have absolutely no other use for and do close range speed practice.

My biggest takeaway is that using a Large Primer results in faster ignition and hence and earlier pressure peak. The end result is that using traditional powders for the caliber results in lower attainable velocity. That wasn't a big deal for me since I used x39 brass for mild loads.

I didn't find that the LP results in shorter primer pocket life. In fact, I got better pocket life out of Starline LP x39 brass than I did out of Starline small primer 6.5G brass that I converted to 6 ARC. My x39 loads were milder, though.

You mentioned crushed shoulders. My theory is that AKs etc. are so violent with extraction that the rim gets bent. If you use range brass, the case mouth can be slightly off center as it goes up into the die and the crushing begins.....

Use fireforming loads to practice standing speed and double taps. I use 1/3 and 1/4 USPSA target photocopies at 15-25 yards to simulate 50-100 yards (recognising that impacts will be 1.5-2" low. But it takes bullet flight out of the equation).

And if your not annealer, don't worry about annealing (but if you are, annealers are gonna anneal!).

Best of luck!
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                          X